Fresno State women’s soccer searches for next win

Fresno+States+goalkeeper+Valentina+Vivas+kicks+the+ball+down+the+field+in+Bulldog+Soccer+Stadium+against+UCSB+on+Aug.+24.++
Carlos Rene Castro
Fresno State’s goalkeeper Valentina Vivas kicks the ball down the field in Bulldog Soccer Stadium against UCSB on Aug. 24.

Fresno State’s women’s soccer team suffered its second-straight loss 3-0 against the University of the Pacific in Stockton, on Sept. 14.

This now puts the team’s record at 1-4-3.

The Bulldogs have struggled in their last six matches, not picking up a win since defeating CSU Bakersfield on Aug. 20.

Fresno State’s backline couldn’t stop Pacific’s attacks early on and conceded all three goals within the first half.

It didn’t take long for the Tigers to light the scoreboard as Pacific forward Lauren Frohan dribbled the ball into the box from the left sideline, and placed it in the top right corner in the 15th minute.

Pacific’s midfielder Alexis Pashales widened the lead after receiving a negative ball inside the box from the right field and blasting it past Bulldog goalkeeper Valentina Vivas.

The Bulldogs pushed up on the offense soon after the second goal, but left open space on the backline during its attacks.

This allowed the Tigers to capitalize on a counterattack in the 37th minute in which forward Anaya Shelton received a through ball that slipped past the Bulldog backline and placed it in the back of the net making the score 3-0.

Fresno State has now conceded 11 goals so far this season following the loss.

The offense was more active during the second half but struggled to create scoring chances against a compact Tiger backline.

The team’s biggest chance to get on the board came from midfielder Adriana Maldonado, who found herself in a clear scoring position, took a shot inside the box but was denied by Pacific goalkeeper Libby Davy.

Even though Fresno State outshot Pacific 9-7, the team was unable to take advantage of the shot opportunities.

This was also noticeable without the presence of senior forward Megan Galvan ⎼ the current offensive leader with two goals and one assist ⎼ who didn’t travel with the team for this match.

Bulldog forward Ciara Wilson was most active on offense and took three shots, one of them on goal.

This was Fresno State’s last non-conference match before entering Mountain West play next week.

The Bulldogs will return home to host their opening conference match against San Diego State on Sept. 21 at 7 p.m.