Honora Chapman, dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, speaks at graduation during Spring 2023.
At upcoming Fresno State ceremonies, 2020 high school graduates finally get a shot at a real graduation
Fresno State Judo player Sara Beberian smiles at the Fresno Judo Club on April 17.
Fresno State Judo Club makes history in National Championship victory

Bulldogs face Highlanders in high shooting game

Jacqueline Carrillo
Bailee Beach runs after the ball against Pepperdine on Sept. 1, at Bulldog Soccer Stadium.

Fresno State women’s soccer will have to wait further before obtaining its second victory of the season.

The Bulldogs left the Central Valley and rescued a 1-1 draw on the road against UC Riverside.

This result puts the team’s season record at 1-2-3.

Fresno State had to come from behind during a heavily contested first half after the Highlanders took the lead 30 minutes into the match with a header from Spencer Gonzales near the penalty spot, putting the ball in the bottom left corner and outside Bulldog goalkeeper Valentina Vivas’ reach.

Vivas registered two saves for the team before being substituted out for Kaydence Cortez-Garcia in the second half.

The Bulldogs responded soon after in the 38th minute to net the equalizer thanks to a header inside the box from midfielder Adriana Maldonado and the assist coming from forward Ciara Wilson who crossed the ball near the sideline. That is Maldonado’s first goal as a Fresno State player.

The second half saw little to no opportunities on offense with one shot each as both teams were imprecise with their final touches and showed signs of slowing down in the midfield. There were 10 total shots on both sides of the field during the first 45 minutes.

The Bulldogs outshot the Highlanders 7-5. Cassia Souza kept the Bulldogs’ offense at bay with four saves, and constantly intercepted aerial balls from crosses.

Forward Lizbeth “Yaya” De Loera was among the most active players on the attack for Fresno State with two shots, both of them on goal.

The Bulldogs will remain in Riverside for the weekend as they are set to take on California Baptist University on Sept. 10 for their next match. Kickoff is set to take place at 4 p.m.