Fresno State soccer rides the bad end of the wave in loss to Pepperdine

Jaqueline Carrillo
The Fresno State soccer team huddles before its match against Pepperdine at Bulldog Soccer Stadium on Sept. 1.

The Fresno State women’s soccer team had the chance to do something they couldn’t accomplish last season: win more than one game. 

Yet, the Bulldogs offense struggled to get things going, putting up just 5 shots with only one of them on goal as Fresno State fell 2-0 against Pepperdine on Friday, Sept. 1 at Bulldog Soccer Stadium.

“The great chances that we are creating, we’re not capitalizing on them. We’re sorta doing the defending for them,” said Fresno State Head Coach Brian Zwaschka. 

Zwaschka pointed out a specific instance in the 78 minute mark where the ‘Dogs gave away a prime opportunity. 

A corner kick that went straight to a Waves defender got knocked away instead of put away in the net. 

“If that makes it 2-1, it completely changes the complexion of the game,” Zwaschka said.

Sophomore Kaya Scott competes with a Pepperdine player for the ball on the field. (Jaqueline Carillo)

Fresno State held its own defensively for the most of the game, limiting Pepperdine to just six shots.

The team opted on a two goalkeeper approach with Viviana Vivas taking the first half and Kaydence Cortez-Garcia taking the second. 

“It’s all about performance. We don’t want to gift anybody anything. It’s all about merit,” Zwaschka said. “We’ve got two keepers who are challenging each other every day. If there isn’t a massive separation, we’re going to try to make sure they both get experience.”

Vivas was tested right away, blocking a shot up the middle from Tori Waldeck in the 2nd minute. 

A few minutes later, Julia Quinonez ran past Vivas on the right post but her shot was blocked by Bulldogs defender Katie Morris on a slide. This led to a corner kick for Pepperdine which was stalled by Fresno State’s defense. 

Bulldog forward Megan Galvan kicks the ball down the field. (Jaqueline Carillo)

Peyton Leonard punched it in during the 26th minute for the Waves on a pass from Skylar Enge. 

Vivas, who saved two balls in the first half, said she likes the competitive nature of the situation. 

“We have a healthy competition. I know I have to step up because she’s ready to go. It keeps me on my toes,” Vivas said.

The Waves scored again in the 56th minute, this time against Cortez-Garcia when Enge found teammate Karina Gonzalez to push the lead to 2-0. 

Despite being shutout against Pepperdine, Zwaschka is confident his team will be able to get things going.

“If we weren’t creating any chances, I would be worried. We just need to find some composure in the actual finishing component,” Zwaschka said. 

Fresno State will host Long Beach State at the Bulldog Soccer Stadium, this Sunday, Sept. 3 at noon. 

Senior Baliee Beach dribbles the ball for Fresno State. (Jaqueline Carillo)
$100
$500