Fresno State’s graphic design students showcase their art in vibrant exhibition

Photo courtesy of Luis Daniel Ramirez Meza
Kaleido BFA Portfolio Show will continue to be on view in the Phebe Conley Art Gallery until April 25.

Fresno State’s graduating artists welcomed friends, family and prospective employers to the Phebe Conley Art Gallery opening reception for the Kaleido 2024 BFA Portfolio Show on Friday, April 19.

The showcase served not only as a platform to display the work of student graphic designers, illustrators and multimedia artists in the BFA program, but also as a springboard to help students transition from their academic training to the professional world.

The reception offered catering and refreshments, allowing guests to enjoy snacks and beverages alongside networking with potential job employers. Students stood by their displays, answering questions as attendees stopped to admire them.

Each display reflected the student’s unique personality and artistic flair behind it, with some showcasing accolades like the 2023 ADDY Awards from the American Advertising Awards, the advertising industry’s largest and most representative competition.

Asmaa Althami, an integrated design major and digital artist, won a Gold ADDY Award for her colorful packaging for her fictional pure ground vanilla product named “Sprinkl”.

“My inspiration was just to create something that I’d actually enjoy and doesn’t have any additives in it,” Althami said, who is Muslim and can’t consume the alcohol typically found in traditional vanilla extract. “I gave each flavor a fun design and a scale for the taste – so you could say, ‘Oh, that’s not too spicy.'”

Calvin Moua, another Gold ADDY winner who won for his Moby Dick-inspired Starbucks ad “The Great White Cup,” was also present at the showcase. He was dressed in the red puffer jacket, white t-shirt and jeans that he wears when starring in his comics, which was the centerpiece of his exhibit. Much of his work is initially hand-drawn and he takes inspiration from his favorite comic books.

“I like the style of a lot of comic book artists and painters,” Moua said. “Not just one in particular – I just grab things that I like and try to make them mine.”

At the Kaleido show, graduating seniors exhibited their greatest designs to a multitude of guests including potential employers and friends. (Photo courtesy of Luis Daniel Ramirez Meza)

Mia Luna, a graphic design major focusing on design and illustration, drew upon her childhood love for anime and video games to inspire the creative work in her portfolio. Fantasy creatures and cozy colors are evident in her pieces.

“Anything with Disney or Dreamworks, you name it,” Luna said. “I originally wanted to be an animator, but when I slowly got into college, I just stuck with drawings. It’s definitely my main skill.”

The Kaleido 2024 BFA Portfolio Show will be open to the public from April 22-25 at the Phebe Conley Art Gallery. Gallery hours are Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.

$100
$500