Jacqueline Carrillo
“I exist both here and there” will continue to be on display until March 1.

‘I exist both here and there’ displays a visceral perspective on sexuality and faith

Fresno State graduate student Jose Soria held an opening reception of his solo exhibition “I exist both here and there,” on Thursday night at the Phebe Conley Art Gallery. His work explores his questioning of his faith through multiple different channels in his life, including a vulnerable look at his sexuality.

In one piece, “Memories of my Youth,” an installation made up of multiple items such as religious crosses, Soria examines his upbringing through images that reflect his development and perception of life.

Though some art pieces were more challenging to create for Soria, he said that the effort placed into his art allowed his works to tell a story cohesively.

“I feel surreal because I think it goes to show how you can be vulnerable with your work and allow people to kind of see the work you can make and the potential of tapping into deep subject matter,” Soria said on the night of the reception. He similarly expressed gratitude towards how his family has taken to the gallery.

“It was hard to paint a lot of these paintings because of how much I had to look into my upbringing and all these things that I repressed,” Soria said.

Soria’s family had seen bits and pieces of his art before the reception when he would paint at home, but hadn’t yet seen his full-scale work.

After seeing their positive reaction, he felt a sense of freedom for being able to share a part of himself he wasn’t able to previously.

His younger sister, Elizabeth Soria, said she’s really proud of her brother’s work and to see how far he’s come.

“I remember when he was younger and he hated art because he couldn’t do it,” Elizabeth said. “But now I collect his art and I tell a lot of people about it.”

“My Saint Sebastian,” an artwork by Jose Soria, is composed of oil on canvas. (Jacqueline Carrillo)

The event was emotional for the whole family, as there were tears from many members who were waiting to see his work.

“I think if you let yourself be open, other people can connect and it makes us more likely to understand each other and be aware of other people’s upbringing,” Soria said.

Michelle Goans, the gallery technician, said that Soria is the first artist to host an exhibition for the spring semester.

“I think that the work is really strong,” Goans said. “Not just in the skill and craftsmanship that you see within the work, but also the strong concept in each piece.”

Goans said the reception from students who have attended the gallery has been welcoming. She said students recognize the display of powerful messages that Soria captured.

Sarah Hernandez, a broadcast journalism major, who initially attended the event as a part of a class assignment, said she was surprised by how she could relate to the messages behind the work.

“I think it’s important because as somebody who is Hispanic and has Hispanic roots, I feel like it’s important to show who we are as people,” Hernandez said.

Elements of Hispanic culture can be found throughout many of Soria’s pieces including references to the Catholic Church, which more than 40% of Hispanic adults in the U.S. belong to.

Other elements such as fabrics and furniture are styled distinctively in some pieces in a manner that is reminiscent of a Hispanic household.

“I exist both here and there” will continue to be displayed until March 1 with the gallery open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.