Fresno State parts ways with Athletic Director Terry Tumey

Fresno+State+Athletic+Director+Terry+Tumey+%28left%29+accepts+a+Fresno+State+cap+from+university+President+Dr.+Joseph+I.+Castro+%28right%29+on+June+25%2C+2018.+
Dan Waterhouse/The Collegian
Fresno State Athletic Director Terry Tumey (left) accepts a Fresno State cap from university President Dr. Joseph I. Castro (right) on June 25, 2018.

Less than six years after being hired at Fresno State, Athletic Director Terry Tumey and the university have agreed to part ways, first reported by ESPN senior writer Pete Thamel.

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval released a statement on Thursday afternoon:

“I want to share with you that Director of Athletics Terry Tumey and I have mutually agreed that he will be leaving Fresno State to pursue other opportunities. We are working together on a transition plan to ensure that we have continuity of leadership in the Athletics Department. I sincerely appreciate Terry’s six years of dedicated service to Fresno State and the support he has provided to our campus, community, and most importantly, to our student-athletes. We wish Terry all the best for a fulfilling future.”

Tumey also released a statement on X, formerly Twitter, expressing gratitude for his time as a Bulldog.

https://twitter.com/FresnoState_AD/status/1770891405499465846?s=20

Tumey was originally hired in June 2018 on a five-year contract by former Fresno State President Joseph Castro.

Last February, the university gave him a two-year contract extension, running through June 2025. He is still owed 80% of his base salary which amounts to $312,000.

While details regarding the vacancy for the university’s athletic director position have not yet been revealed, Tumey’s $340,000-a-year salary was one of the lowest in the Mountain West.