Fresno State athletic director Terry Tumey receives contract extension

Fresno+State+director+of+athletics+Terry+Tumey+at+the+Community+Partner+Award+at+Diamond+Learning+Center.+Oct.+3%2C+2018.+

Jose Romo/ The Collegian

Fresno State director of athletics Terry Tumey at the Community Partner Award at Diamond Learning Center. Oct. 3, 2018.

By Dylan Gonzales, Reporter

Since taking over as director of Fresno State Athletics in August 2018, the university has won 12 conference championships across all sports under the direction of Terry Tumey. 

Tumey signed a two-year contract extension on Feb. 10, according to The Fresno Bee, giving him more time to continue his leadership. 

Even though Fresno State Athletics has seen a lot of success under Tumey, it has not all been smooth sailing over the past year. Outside of football winning a conference championship this past season, other sports have struggled. 

Both the men’s and women’s cross-country team did not have good seasons. The women’s team placed ninth in the conference championships out of 11 schools while the men’s team finished in last place.

The women’s soccer team finished the season with a 1-14-4 record, winning their only game in a conference matchup against Nevada. The ‘Dogs finished last in the Mountain West Conference.

The volleyball team also had a disappointing season in conference play with a 1-17 record, finishing last place. 

As a result, Tumey made a splash, bringing in Leisa Rosen as the volleyball’s team head coach. She spent the previous 24 years as an assistant coach of the athletic powerhouse at Michigan. Since 2006, Michigan’s women’s volleyball team has only had two losing seasons.

Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams are in the bottom three of the Mountain West rankings. As of Feb. 19, the men’s team has a 9-17 overall record and the women’s team stands at 10-19. 

One of Tumey’s goals for the athletic program over the next few years is to make the jump into a major conference, such as the Big 12 or the Pac 12. According to the Mountain West Wire, Fresno State has been in talks with both conferences, especially the Big 12. Brett Yormark, Big 12 commissioner, has expressed interest in adding a team in the Pacific time zone. 

“I’ve been pretty transparent and intentional that we’d like that fourth time zone to create more value for our media partners,” Yormark told the Canzano and Wilner podcast. 

Tumey believes that in order for the ‘Dogs to make the jump to a major conference, Valley Children’s Stadium needs to improve. Even after Measure E failed to pass, Tumey says there are still ways to renovate the stadium. 

“We still have very much of a planned approach that we’re looking at for our stadium renovations,” Tumey told ABC30 in January.

Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval agrees that improvements to the stadium must be made in the near future.

“Future investment in our facilities, namely our football stadium, is critical to the long-term success of our athletics program and has the potential to be a significant boost to the quality of life in our region,” Jiménez-Sandoval told The Fresno Bee in September.