CFA and Teamsters are going on strike: Here’s what to expect

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Poster signs that say “CFA, STRIKE READY!” at the Fresno State Memorial Fountain on Nov. 7. The CFA held a 12% Rally as a protest before they decided to strike.

On Nov. 9, the California Faculty Association announced that members will be striking. The union declared four one-day strikes that will take place at four CSU campuses between Dec. 4-7:

• Dec. 4, Cal Poly Pomona
  • Dec. 5, San Francisco State
  • Dec. 6, CSU Los Angeles
  • Dec. 7, Sacramento State

Teamsters Local 2010 will also be going on a one-day strike throughout the CSU on Tuesday, Nov. 14, according to a campus-wide email from Terree Stevenson, dean of students.

The union represents CSU skilled trades employees including mechanics, carpenters, painters, plumbers, locksmiths, blacksmiths and engineers.

The CFA and Teamsters strikes are from two different unions that are fighting two different battles. Each union has its own leaders and its own demands.

The Teamsters strike will take place across 22 CSU campuses and in Long Beach at the chancellor’s office.

“In the event that there is strike activity on our campus, please be advised that the campus will remain open and student services will continue,” Stevenson said about the Teamsters strike.

Picket lines are expected at campus entrances, and students are allowed to cross them. They are also not required to provide any information to those on strike.

“You are not obligated to provide the members of a picket line with your name or any other information,” Stevenson said.

Teamsters picket lines will be as follows:

•  5:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. on Barstow and Cedar.
  •  7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Barton and Shaw.
  •  9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Barstow and Cedar.

The California State University system continues to try and reach an agreement with Teamsters, officials say, and they remain hopeful they can reach a consensus.

If students have any questions or concerns, they are encouraged to reach out to the Dean of Students Office at 559-278-8740 or Human Resources at 559-278-2032.

Meanwhile, on Nov. 7, the California Faculty Association hosted a 12% Rally where members protested and demanded better working conditions.

Its leaders said they did not want to go on strike, but they will if they have to.

The CFA strikes are contingent on the completion of the statutory process of the re-opener contract.

“With the authority of 95 percent of our members who voted, we, CFA’s Board of Directors, unanimously voted to call a strike over CSU management’s failure to settle re-opener contract negotiations fairly. Faculty in all ranges and ranks need better pay, better parental leave, workload support, and health and safety rights that align with our anti-racist and social justice values,” the CFA Board of Directors said in a faculty-wide email.

If these strikes fail to bring justice for the CFA, more strikes will be called in the Spring 2024 semester, according to the CFA Board of Directors.

“CSU management will learn the hard way that faculty are not willing to settle for less than they deserve. CSU management will learn what employers around the country are having to learn — employees deserve better pay and working conditions,” CFA President Charles Toombs said in the email.

John Beynon, Fresno chapter president of the CFA, said members can show their support and solidarity with Teamsters.

Some ways the CFA can support are by signing this petition to CSU Chancellor Garcia demanding the CSU bargain with Teamsters. Other ways are to wear CFA gear on Nov. 14, honk and make supportive noise where the strikers stand and join Teamsters on the picket lines when they are not scheduled to work on campus.

“Let’s support our Teamsters siblings on Nov. 14 and help them win a fair contract! Our struggles and success are intertwined,” Beynon said in an email.

However, faculty will not be protected from disciplinary action if they fail to do their job on Nov. 14.

On Nov. 2, The Collegian sent University Communications questions in regards to the CFA strike, but they remain unanswered.

The questions asked were as follows:

• Does the university have a plan if the strike were to happen?
  • How would the strike affect our campus and our community?
  • The Fresno Unified School District was prepared with substitute teachers to take over for those on the picket line, does Fresno State have anything similar in mind?
  • Will students still be required to attend class?
  • What does this mean for the financial aspect of the situation? Hypothetically if the strike were to last a few weeks that is missed instruction that students are still paying for, how will this be taken care of?
  • Will the lost instruction time need to be made up at another time by extending the semester or perhaps in the summer?
  • Will this affect students’ grades or GPA if they choose not to attend class during the strike period?

Lisa Bell, public information officer for University Communications, responded with a statement on behalf of the CSU and Fresno State.

“The California Faculty Association (CFA), represents faculty across all 23 California State University (CSU), including Fresno State. Our campus is working collaboratively with the CSU to ensure minimal disruptions to student learning and campus services in the event of a strike, which includes the development of a contingency plan,” Bell, the CSU and Fresno State said in the statement.

The Collegian also reached out to the CSU chancellor’s office with the same questions. Officials responded with a statement as well.

“The California State University remains committed to the collective bargaining process and reaching a negotiated agreement with the CFA as we have done with five of our other employee unions in recent weeks,” said Hazel Kelly, a spokesperson for the CSU.

More information about the strikes can also be found at the Teamsters Local 2010 website and at the CFA website. There is also an FAQ page on the CFA website.