CFA hosts 12% Rally to demand better working conditions

(Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)
Fresno State faculty members present a united front during 12% Rally on Nov. 7 in front of the fountain. The CFA does not want to strike, but they say they will if they have to.

Following a 95% strike authorization vote, the California Faculty Association (CFA) held a 12% Rally on Nov. 7 to show administrators that they are serious about their demands.

Fresno State faculty and students gathered at the fountain in front of the Kennel Bookstore at 11:30 a.m. passing out red T-shirts, signs and chant sheets for people to march with.

A rally also took place in Long Beach in front of the chancellor’s office where nearly 1,000 members from across the 23 CSUs protested while the CSU Board of Trustees met.

“Your colleagues across the CSU are down in Long Beach as well. Wearing the shirts, holding the signs, making a whole lot of noise while the Board of Trustees are meeting. We’re showing them everywhere that we’re serious about our fair demands. The cost of living is far too high for the salaries that we’re making,” said John Beynon, the Fresno chapter president of the CFA.

The CFA members in Fresno protested loudly, demanding a 12% pay increase, more counselors, more paid parental leave, more lactation facilities and safe gender-inclusive restrooms.

Professors expressed their concern with the budgeting of the CSU, saying that they have the money to give them what they want, but instead are choosing to continue to increase student fees to give more to the board administrators.

“Instead of trying to get money from the students for an increase in tuition, get more money from the legislature. Raise the money that way. So that we can prosper because education is not an expense. It is an investment in our civic vitality. We’re all better and if we are educated we get such a benefit from it,” said Stuart K. McFeeters, a lecturer in the College of Social Sciences.

McFeeters said that if the CSU treated all their workers fairly there would be no need for a union.

“Let me say, I don’t think unions should have to exist. If employers treated their employees well, there’d be no need for a union,” he said.

Tomaro Scadding, an English lecturer, said that before she was part of the union she wasn’t aware of the power she held.

“The things that are happening with the Board of Trustees where they aren’t even entertaining negotiations with us just doesn’t seem fair. Right? And so I’m happy to be a part of a group that’s working together for justice and better working conditions for faculty,” Scadding said.

Fresno State students also participated in the march across campus. Many said that seeing the unfair working conditions that their professors endure everyday is completely unacceptable.

“Hearing about my professors working, you know, teaching seven classes and working a second job just to make their ends meet while they have Ph.Ds,” said Isla Dudley, a history major. “They’re teaching us that, you know, the next generation of history students, and yet they can’t afford to pay their bills on a single salary. It’s absurd… There’s no reason why anyone should have to have a second job.”

Other students say the rally was a great way for faculty and students alike to present themselves in a united front.

“I think today was a good outward support of both students and faculty coming together to create a better environment for Fresno State and allowing the students to see what the professors are talking about, why they disagree with what the administration is doing towards the students and why they care about the students,” said a member of the Students for Quality Education program who chose to remain anonymous.

Students for Quality Education is an intern program supported by the CFA that allows for students to work with faculty and see how their interests align. It is a way for students to see why the demand for better working conditions is essential.

About 100 protesters marched down to Shaw Avenue, yelling and chanting, so they would be seen and heard not only by Fresno State, but by the community as well.

“We’re in solidarity with everybody that’s down in Long Beach, and we’re gonna fight and we’re going to win. So let’s make this festive. Let’s make it fun. We’re serious, but we’re also going to have a good time doing this,” said Andrew Jones, a faculty member in the Sociology department.

Lisa Bell, public information officer at Fresno State, said that if a strike were to be called, the university would develop a contingency plan that would be shared with the campus.

“The California Faculty Association (CFA), represents faculty across all 23 California State University (CSU), including Fresno State. Our campus is working collaboratively with the CSU to ensure minimal disruptions to student learning and campus services in the event of a strike, which includes the development of a contingency plan,” the CSU and Fresno State said in a statement to The Collegian.

The CFA does not necessarily want to strike, but they will if they have to, its leaders said.

“A strike would be in the best interests of students, because faculty working conditions are student learning conditions. Students are better able to learn and succeed in their studies when they have faculty who are being treated and compensated fairly by the CSU,” Beynon told The Collegian.