Honora Chapman, dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, speaks at graduation during Spring 2023.
At upcoming Fresno State ceremonies, 2020 high school graduates finally get a shot at a real graduation
Fresno State Judo player Sara Beberian smiles at the Fresno Judo Club on April 17.
Fresno State Judo Club makes history in National Championship victory

Diego Vargas/The Collegian

Graduation marks a significant milestone in a student’s life and is filled with a mix of excitement and nervousness. It symbolizes the culmination of years of hard work, dedication and growth.

Despite the intimidation, graduation opens doors to a world of possibilities, where students can apply their skills, pursue their passions and make a positive impact to practice what they have been striving for.

After graduation, students face the challenge of figuring out life beyond school. The transition from student to professional can be intimidating, as it means making important life decisions, such as choosing a career path, finding employment and adapting to new responsibilities.

“First, I would say give some priority to your personal care,” said Bryan Agbayani, Linguistics professor at Fresno State. “That means adequate sleep, nutrition, healthy habits, and down time when you need it. Take care of your mental and emotional health.”

The next phase after graduation can be approached with curiosity and resilience, knowing that each experience is a stepping stone toward personal and professional growth.

Agbayani suggested volunteering extra time to make things in the community better, making the world a little better. More so, he said to practice compassion, be reliable, care about others and the environment and be a good neighbor.

“Keep learning for your entire career,” said Robert Goulart, full-time lecturer at Fresno State. “Your need to gain new knowledge does not stop when you graduate. Identify new skills for your career field or to advance to a new position, then learn those skills.”

Graduation is a time to embrace change, seek new adventures, and embark on a journey of self-discovery.

“I wish I knew that life just keeps getting better after you graduate,” said Michael Ballin, Fresno State alumni and Food Security Project Coordinator for the Student Cupboard. “There are many opportunities and possibilities to further your education and your career.Life is a life long learning experience.”

As graduates step into the real world, they often discover immense opportunities waiting to be explored, leading to personal and professional growth.

“Anything that you can imagine yourself doing, you can and you will get there,” said Elizabeth Rocha Zuñiga, Fresno State alumni. “When you truly and genuinely believe in yourself, you have the foundation to cultivate your dreams and to bring them to life.”

What graduates need to know

The first step toward graduation is applying for a degree, and students are required to submit an application to officially complete their degree.

Grad boxes that include special merchandise, caps, gowns and tassels have sold out. However, students who pre-purchased boxes can pick up until May 31. Pick-up times are Monday-Friday 9 a.m.- 4p.m. at the Smittcamp Alumni House.

Students are able to receive three types of honors after receiving at least a 3.5 GPA. The ranks are as follow: Summa Cum Laude (highest honors) from 3.90-4.00,Magna Cum Laude (high honors) from 3.70-3.89, Cum Laude (honors) from 3.50-3.69

Commencements begin May 17 from 8 a.m.-8:30 p.m., and May 18 from 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Ceremony times vary depending on different colleges.

Affinity Group celebrations, where students can be recognized for their achievement in different cultural, interest and identity groups are May 18-20 with varying times and locations.

May 17 commencement schedule

Craig School of Business commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 8-9:30 a.m.

College of Social Sciences commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 10:30-12 p.m.

College of Arts and Humanities commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 1- 2:30 p.m.

Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology commencement will be held in the Save Mart Center from 3:30- 5 p.m.

Kremen School of Education and Human Development commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 7- 8:30 p.m.

May 18 commencement schedule

Lyles College of Engineering Commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 8- 9:30 a.m.

College of Health and Human Services Commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 10:30- 12 p.m.

International Convocation will be held at the Satellite Student Union from 1- 2:30 p.m.
College of Science and Mathematics Commencement will be held at the Save Mart Center from 3- 4:30 p.m.

African American Student Recognition Ceremony from 5 to 6 p.m., the location is to be determined.

Chicano/Latino Commencement Celebration will be held at the Save Mart Center from 7- 9:30 p.m.

May 19 celebration schedule

Rainbow Graduation Celebration will be held at the Satellite Student Union from 11- 12 p.m.

Asian American and Pacific Islander Graduation Celebration will be from 12:30- 2 p.m., the location is to be determined.

American Indian Graduation Honoring and Celebration will be held at the Resnick Student Union from 3:30- 5:30 p.m.

Getting in

Caps and gowns are required to be worn at all times during ceremonies. During the check-in process, graduates should arrive in clothing appropriate for the weather before putting on graduation regalia.

Tickets are not required by family or guests to attend the ceremonies. Commencement will also be livestreamed for guests who are unable to attend in-person.

Ceremonies are held in the Save Mart Center and parking is free all weekend on the north end of the arena.

One clear 12” x 6” x 12” bag is allowed in the arena along with a small clutch. More information on entry requirements can be found on the Save Mart Center website.

The Save Mart Center also provides and allows wheelchair entries, service animals, interpreters and ADA accessible seating and parking.