Fresno State announces 2024 president’s and deans’ medalists

Thousands of 
people from the Central Valley and other places came to graduation in the Save Mart Center to watch Fresno State
students walk across the stage to complete their 
college career.  
college career. Photo by Rosemarie Borunda
Thousands of people from the Central Valley and other places came to graduation in the Save Mart Center to watch Fresno State students walk across the stage to complete their college career. college career. Photo by Rosemarie Borunda

Eighteen students have been announced as Fresno State’s deans’ medalists. Nine graduate students and nine undergraduate students are taking home the distinction. Two students are taking home the highest academic honor as president’s medalists.

Each year the deans’ medalists are announced in May, one from each of the eight colleges and one from the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

A graduate student and undergraduate student are announced as the president’s medalists.

The president’s medalists are:

Nathan Theng, left, was selected as the President’s Undergraduate Medalist, while Angel Rojas was selected as the President’s Graduate Medalist. (Fresno State)

Nathan H. Theng, College of Science and Mathematics

Theng earned his bachelor’s degree in computer science. He is pursuing computer science because he wants to use technology to transform medicine. At Fresno State he was a Smittcamp Family Honors Scholar and received several awards and scholarships. He mentored students and adults through the Computer Science Department and also did volunteer work.

After graduation he plans to pursue a doctoral degree in computer science with the ultimate goal of researching computational diagnosis tools for underserved communities.

Angel Rojas, College of Social Sciences

Rojas spent his time as a master’s student studying early modern dynamics of science as an institution and voice of power and authority. His thesis was on British colonial and Indigenous medical practices and required him to learn how to read in Latin and French. He presented his research at several conferences. At Fresno State he was vice president of the History Graduate Student Association where he later became president.

In the future Rojas plans to become an educator at a four-year university to inspire others to pursue higher education.

The undergraduate deans’ medalists are:

Andrea L. Barnett, Kremen School of Education and Human Development

Barnett earned her bachelor’s in liberal studies with a supplementary authorization in mathematics.

In the future Barnett plans to teach mathematics to incarcerated youth.

Jazmine Badhesha, Craig School of Business

Badhesha earned her bachelor’s in business administration with an emphasis in computer information systems and also earned a minor in anthropology and economics. D

In the future Badhesha plans to pursue a master’s degree in business administration while working full-time.

Matthew D. Forney, Lyles College of Engineering

Forney earned his bachelor’s in construction management with a minor in general business.

After graduation Forney is going to work as a project engineer with McCarthy.

Sofia James, College of Arts and Humanities

James earned her bachelor’s in theatre arts with a focus in design and technology.

In the future she aims to earn her master’s and teaching credential to continue to teach future generations of theater makers.

Reyna I. Mero, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Mero earned her bachelor’s in pre-veterinary animal science.

In the fall, Mero will start veterinary school at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine.

Logan X. Mouawangyee, College of Health and Human Services

Mouawangyee earned his bachelor’s in kinesiology with an emphasis in physical education.

After graduation he plans to earn a single subject teaching credential in physical education to teach the subject.

Bianca G. Palma, Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management

Palma earned her bachelors in communications with a minor in media, communications and journalism.

After graduation Palma plans to pursue a career in marketing and communications.

Jose A. Santiesteban, College of Social Sciences

Santiesteban earned his bachelor’s in political science.

After graduation he will attend Washington University’s political science doctoral program.

The graduate deans’ medalists are:

Kiana Crisosto, College of Science and Mathematics

Crisosto earned her master’s in psychology with an emphasis in general and experimental psychology. She is a first generation student who participated in research during her undergraduate studies which led her to her thesis on how race can influence persuasive outcomes.

In the future Crisosto plans to become a research and data analyst for California or in public health.

Jennifer Duran, College of Health and Human Services

Duran earned her master’s in communicative sciences and deaf studies with an emphasis in speech language and pathology.

In the future Duran plans to work as a speech pathologist.

Fernando Robledo Garcia, the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management

Robledo earned his master’s in counseling.

After graduation Robledo will work at UC Merced as a full-time academic navigator working with first generation students.

Andrea Lee, Craig School of Business

Lee earned her master’s in business administration.

She now lives in Austin, Texas working as a marketing and communications intern at the Greater Austin Asian Chamber of Commerce.
Rodolfo Lopez, Lyles College of Engineering

Lopez earned his master’s in civil engineering.

He now works as a transportation engineer for Caltrans.

Hermelinda Hernandez Monjaras, College of Arts and Humanities

Hernandez Monjaras earned a master of fine arts degree in creative writing.

In the future Hernandez Monjaras plans to pursue teaching, writing and editing.

M. Orlando Tapia, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology

Tapia earned his master’s in plant science.

After graduation Tapia wants to pursue a doctoral degree in agricultural science.

Belen Torres from the Kremen School of Education and Human Development

Torres is a first-generation student affairs and college counseling student.

In the future Torres plans to pursue a Ph.D. and become a college professor.