Fresno State women’s golf pulls off top 10 finish in Washington

Sophomore+Katelyn+Lehigh+hits+at+the+Leadership+and+Golf+Invitational+at+the+Chambers+Bay+Golf+Course+in+Washington.+
Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics
Sophomore Katelyn Lehigh hits at the Leadership and Golf Invitational at the Chambers Bay Golf Course in Washington.

In their second tournament of the season, the Fresno State women’s golf team secured 10th place out of the 19 schools that competed in the Leadership and Golf Invitational, which took place in Washington at the Chambers Bay Golf Course from Sept. 18-19.

The ‘Dogs were coming off a third-place finish at the Timpanogos Collegiate Classic in Utah where sophomore Katelyn Lehigh won the tournament with an overall score of 15-under par. 

In round one of the tournament, Lehigh carded two eagles and finished the day with the lowest score on the team at 1-under par. Fresno State tied Sacramento State with 13 birdies in the round and finished with a score of 293, 17 shots off the lead. Bulldog junior Jinyu Wu, freshman Sophia Chen, and freshman Amelia Garibaldi all managed to finish at 2-over par. 

On the par 3s, Fresno State  tied Colorado for fourth in shooting even par. USC led at 5-under par as they would continue to dominate throughout the tournament. 

In the second round, the ‘Dogs only managed to card 9 birdies for the day. Chen shot the lowest that day with a score of 2-over par. Overall, they carded a 303. 

The ‘Dogs continued to excel on the par 3s, dropping only one stroke and putting them at 1-over par. However, they struggled on the par 4s shooting 17-over par. 

In the final round of the tournament, the ‘Dogs did slightly better than the second round, carding 10 birdies. Chen would again shoot the lowest score of the day, that being even par. The Dogs’ total score was 896 which secured 10th place. 

Out of the 107 players that competed in the tournament, Chen placed 27th with a final score of 4-over par. 

Fresno State’s next tournament will be held in Fort Collins, Colo. for the Colonel Wollenberg Ptarmigan Ram Classic on Sept. 25-26.