Fresno State reacts: Pride flag vandalism is a ‘violation of our rights and safety’

The Progressive Pride flag was raised in front of the Frank W. Thomas Building in honor of Pride Month on June 1. (Jiselle Cardenas/The Collegian)

By Jiselle Cardenas, Managing Editor

On June 1, Pride Month at Fresno State commenced with a flag-raising ceremony presided over by Councilmember Annalisa Perea on behalf of the City of Fresno. 

At approximately 6 a.m. on Wednesday, June 28, the Fresno State Police Department discovered that the Progressive Pride flag was torn down and removed, according to University Communications. 

This incident serves as a stark reminder that we still have more work to do in embracing the gifts and contributions of our LGBTQ+ students, faculty, staff, and allies – not just during Pride month but every single day,” President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval stated in message to campus community that same morning.

He said that the actions committed go against foundational principles of Fresno State: inclusivity, respect and acceptance. 

Visual statements of pride, such as the Pride flag, play a vital role in our commitment to creating a stronger and more equitable community,” Jiménez-Sandoval said. “We resolutely condemn any act of vandalism or destruction that seeks to undermine the visibility and representation of our LGBTQ+ community. Such actions do not align with our core values, and we are committed to taking immediate steps to address this incident.”

A replacement rainbow flag was raised on Wednesday and the Fresno State Police Department is actively investigating the incident to identify those responsible. 

“Unfortunately due to construction fencing in this area of campus, there was no video security coverage of the flagpole,” said Fresno State public information officer Lisa Bell. “Anyone with any information about this crime is encouraged to contact the Fresno State Police Department.”

The symbolic effect of what took place is reverberating through the campus community.

“When I heard the Pride flag had been torn down it made me very emotional. I felt sad and frustrated,” said Lexey Jenkins, a junior majoring in music education. “In a time when there are attacks on LGBTQ+ people and legal rights across the country, it is really frustrating to hear about occurrences like this, especially during pride month. Events like [this] can feel like a violation of our joy and safety.”

Jenkins said demonstrations like the flag being torn down represent a dangerous escalation of anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment and actions. She added that the flag was not damaged or tampered with last June. 

She said the flag can be physically protected with a lock or protective case around the rope that raises and lowers the flag. However, that is not the main issue. 

“The best way to prevent this from happening again is to promote education and awareness around LGBTQ+ topics so that people learn the importance of inclusivity and equity,” Jenkins said, emphasizing that there needs to be increased support from students, staff, faculty and community members.

“When there is a large network of strong, clear support for LGBTQ+ people and causes, events like these are usually less likely to happen,” she added.

Jenkins said students can seek on-campus support from the Cross Cultural and Gender Center or Student Health and Counseling Center. She also said there are multiple available community resources, such as Fresno EOC LGBTQ+ Resource Center, Trans-E-Motion and more. 

University Diversity Officer Rashanda Booker said these types of incidents can have a traumatic impact on students and employees. 

Her initial reaction after hearing of the flag’s vandalism was to immediately schedule safe-space sessions in the TLC Pride Room of the CCGC from 2:30-3:30 p.m., beginning that Wednesday for the whole week. 

“I am disheartened by the act of vandalism and destruction of the Progressive Pride Flag, as an ally, and as an individual with intersecting marginalized identities,” Booker said. “As Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said: ‘We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.’”

She concurred with President Jiménez-Sandoval that more work needs to be done to create a more equitable, inclusive campus community. 

Booker said the Fresno State community demonstrated community solidarity by how swiftly campus leaders, students and cabinet members were able to work together. 

“… Replacing the stolen flag within three hours after being reported that it was taken, illustrates that Fresno State, and more specifically, the Division of Equity and Engagement, will not tolerate acts of vandalism nor destruction, instead we will continue to actively and boldly support the LGBTQ+ community, and we will overcome hate with love,” Booker said.

She added that the university is already working on creating a safer social environment by taking a stand on bullying, planning and hosting inclusive activities, having an LGBTQ+ affirming space, and hiring a new LGBTQ+ coordinator in the CCGC. Booker said the search for an LGBTQ+ coordinator is still ongoing.

Considering the lengths it must’ve taken the individual to tear down the flag on our Fresno State campus, that individual must’ve been determined to taint the inclusive and diverse community Fresno State has been working towards for the last couple of years,” said ASI President Karen Carrillo, who heard about the incident through the Jiménez-Sandoval’s email. 

Carrillo said that those affected by the incident have the support of the University as it continues to work towards effective change for marginalized communities on campus. 

ASI is here to support all of our students, especially in situations that promote discrimination like the incident that occurred with the Pride flag. We have a Senator for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion whose respective role is to help create a more welcoming environment on our campus,” she said.

For employees who seek additional support, Jiménez-Sandoval suggested contacting the Employee Assistance Program.

“Given the current climate surrounding LGBTQ+ people and causes, it is more important than ever to show support and take action in any way you can,” Jenkins said. “To LGBTQ+ people, know that you are loved and supported and you deserve to be safe, represented, and celebrated. To our allies, look for ways you can show your support for the community. Our allies are crucial to our success in building meaningful and lasting equity and inclusion.” 

Correction: July 3, 2023

In a previous version of this article, it incorrectly stated that an LGBTQ+ coordinator for the CCGC would begin July 3. A new Latinx coordinator began July 3, and the search for an LGBTQ+ coordinator is still ongoing.