Review: John Wick does not miss in this guns-blazing, fun-filled masterpiece

TNS

Keanu Reeves as John Wick in “John Wick: Chapter 4.” Reeves recently stated that, contrary to rumors, he is, in fact, mortal. “Yeah, man, I age,” he said. “It’s happening, man.” (Murray Close/Lionsgate/TNS)

By Manuel Hernandez, Editor-in-chief

“John Wick: Chapter 4” is an ode to spaghetti westerns, martial arts movies, samurai cinema, car action, spy and mafia movies rolled into one. This chaotic combination created my favorite film of the year, and one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

It is a must-watch movie because it’s fun, beautifully shot and action-packed.

Since there is little I dislike about the movie, I’ll address the film’s negatives to prepare for before watching. The most crucial step to fully enjoy the John Wick series is to suspend your sense of reality and practicality because the physics in this world is ridiculous.

Especially for this movie, you have to throw logic out the window.

At the end of the third movie, we left Wick injured and craving revenge after he was shot and fell off a 12-story building, somehow not dying. After many questioned and criticized how anyone could survive that kind of fall, the creators of this movie basically responded with a middle finger to the criticism.

In chapter four, Wick undergoes so many bone-crushing blows and seemingly fatal falls but always gets back up. This movie does not care about the viewer’s common knowledge of gravity and injuries. It doubles down on the unrealistic stunts and multiplies it by 10.

Because Keanu Reeves does a lot of his own stunts, he is the most realistic-looking action star with breathtaking fight choreography but also the most fictional at the same time. His growth as a character is very subtle, so Wick is still a man with few words and emotions, like in the first movie.

One last con is Wick’s plot armor beyond the damage he takes. Many times Wick is saved by conveniences and obvious tropes in action films.

Despite Wick’s invincibility, chapter four keeps the tension alive, has viewers constantly rooting for him and raises the stakes for a man who has nothing to live for but revenge.

Will I care about the negatives of the film? No, because chapter four brought the joy back into cinematography. Will the movie let you focus on its cons? It’s impossible because every shot of chapter four has either jaw-dropping visuals or mind-blowing fight scenes.

To summarize what to expect, any fighting you can think of – on cars, on horses, with dogs or with nunchucks –- this movie has it and masters it. There’s a certain gunfight scene shot with an over-the-ceiling point of view that will turn you back into a child due to the excitement.

My favorite shot is not even an action shot. Wick goes international, and one of the locations is in Osaka, Japan. In an ode to samurai movies, Wick, in his iconic black-and-white suit, is glowing in front of a pink blossom tree, and it’s like straight out of a manga or comic book.

All the set pieces, framing and locations are beautiful, like artwork, so the visuals in this film are unlike traditional action films.

Chapter four does not rely on its camera work or settings either. For this vast world-building and artistic playground, they brought out heavy-hitting actors whose acting credentials shine just as brightly as their set pieces. There is no star in the show despite the film’s name because of the legends in the cast.

Wick has four movies for a reason, yet Reeves and Jackson Spidell, the stunt double for Wick, cannot be praised enough for their stunt work. But Reeve’s likeability; the portrayal of rage and pain; and presence as the “baba yaga,” meaning the boogeyman, was perfect without much dialogue.

But the surrounding cast members are the best.

To start the film, Laurence Fishburn, who plays the Bowery King, performs an Oscar-worthy monologue that lets you know how grand the stage will be.

Veteran actors Donnie Yen and Hiroyuki Sanada, also iconic for martial arts and samurai movies, bring the validity and heart-wrenching acting only they can do in action films. Unlike Wick’s slow but calculated combat, Yen and Sanada bring well-known sword fighting and fast-paced, cool-looking martial arts.

A surprise of the film is also Bill Skarsgård, who plays the marquis. He is a great villain and provides a necessary balance to Wick because Skarsgård steals the scene with his dialogue and eccentric, colorful presence. He is a great foil character and the yin-yang to Wick.

Keanu Reeves as “John Wick in John Wick 4.” (Murray Close/Lionsgate/TNS) (TNS)

For those who remember the first film, we all know this bloodbath started with a dog, and this final chapter also brings it full circle with one.

After Halle Berry brought two attack dogs in the third movie, there were some big shoes to fill, and Shamier Anderson, as the tracker, capped it off justly. He and his dog brought the cuteness and viciousness of a trained assassin with a killer pup.

One of my favorite cast moments was the tribute to Lance Reddick, who plays Charon, throughout the films after Reddick passed away. Despite being a minor character, Reeves and Ian McShane, who plays Winston, emphasized the importance of Reddick’s character multiple times and honored the actor’s legacy.

There’s nothing you can do but throw your hands up in disbelief because of how good this movie is. If you’re a die-hard fan or watch a quick recap video beforehand, you’ll like “John Wick: Chapter 4.”