Heading to the fair? These are the foods you want to grub on

The delicious honey batter made the jumbo corn dog taste slightly sweet. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

The Big Fresno Fair is back in town through Oct. 15. Aside from enjoying a fun atmosphere, fair-goers can stuff their faces with delicious food. To make your trip to the fair smoother, I sampled five must-try food items that you must taste. 

Chicken Charlie’s Flamin’ Hot Cheetos pot stickers are this year’s Big Fresno Fair’s most unique food item available. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

1. Chicken Charlie’s: Flamin’ Hot Cheetos potstickers

Chicken Charlie’s is a crowd favorite at the Big Fresno Fair. Every year, Chicken Charlie’s brings unique food items such as the Flamin’ Hot Cheetos pot stickers. 

Yes, I know you are wondering why someone would eat such a food, but you must give these potstickers a try.

The chicken pot stickers are nicely coated in a teriyaki sauce and then rolled in crushed-up Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. As a result, you get this year’s Fresno Fair’s most uncommon food item. 

The bright red color from the pot stickers is eye-catching, but the taste is even better. The spicy kick from the Flamin’ Hot Cheetos stands out with the crunch of the potstickers. To add a different layer of taste, it is accompanied by a sweet, yellow sauce that compliments Flamin’ Hot Cheetos potstickers well.

The char from the corn-on-the-cob produces a sweet yet smoky flavor. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

2. Corn Star: Corn-on-the-cob

For $6.45, the buttery corn-on-the-cob from Corn Star is the perfect food item to walk around the fairgrounds with your friends while enjoying a laid-back conversation.

The taste of the sweet corn bursts into your mouth, so be careful when you take the first bite! The corn is served fresh off the hot grill to the customers, making this food item a great combination of sweetness and smokiness from the char. 

Not a fan of corn-on-the-cob? No problem. The corn can also be served in a cup for $9.22. Side toppings include chipotle mayo, parmesan cheese or Hot Cheetos.

Funnels cakes are a Big Fresno Fair classic food item. However, this time, I tried the Oreo-flavored cake. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

3. Fat Franky’s Delicious Funnel Cakes: Oreo funnel cake

Funnel cakes are a classic fair food item, but I sweetened it up this time by trying the Oreo-flavored funnel cake. I am a sucker for funnel cakes, but not a fan of Oreos, so testing it out was an exciting experience. 

The lightness and fattiness of frying, backed up by a thick coating of sugar, is my favorite part of funnel cakes. However, adding Oreos to the whipped cream was even better. Eating funnel cakes at a fair is the best way to enjoy everything the fair offers, and I recommend ordering an Oreo-flavored funnel cake. 

Cinnamon rolls from Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls, a family-owned business, are a must-try food item at the Big Fresno Fair. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

4. Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon rolls from Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls, a family-owned business, are a must-try food item at the Big Fresno Fair. Throughout the year, Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls tours various venues in California, serving customers with their sweet treats.

The menu has six flavors and pricing ranges from $8 to $13, depending on your choice. I ordered and tried the cream cheese frosting and walnut cinnamon roll for $11. 

Like the original cinnamon rolls, the soft and delicious bun topped with cream cheese and crunchy walnuts are to die for. After a couple of bites from the cinnamon rolls, you can understand why this family-owned business is a staple at the Big Fresno Fair.

5. Space Age: Jumbo corn dog

The fair is only in town for 11 days, so why not go big by eating a jumbo corn dog? This tasty fair food will satisfy your hunger and remind you of your childhood. For $6.95, the jumbo corn dog is perfect for two people to devour while enjoying the fun atmosphere of the fair.

What I enjoyed about the jumbo corn dog was the delicious honey batter, which made it savory. The hot dog inside the breading was fresh and easy to eat. It is mind-boggling how two simple ingredients complement each other, but this time, you’re getting a jumbo version that satisfies your taste buds during your time at the fair.