Multiple Fresno State alumni got the chance to move on to professional play. Athletes listed left to right, Andrew Rachel, Robyn McCarthy, Orlando Robinson and Arron Mosby. (Graphic by Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Multiple Fresno State alumni make the jump to professional play

Fresno State has been the home to superstars including the likes of Aaron Judge, Derek Carr, Davante Adams and Paul George.  

The Valley continues to be a hub for developing athletes at a high level as the 2022 graduating class sees eight Bulldog alumni make the next step to play at the professional level.

Four of those come courtesy of the Fresno State football team as DaRon Bland, Arron Mosby, Ronnie Rivers and Alex Akingbulu battle for NFL roster spots and continue to represent Fresno State at the highest level.

“Having alumni play professionally means that Fresno State students matter. Even though we know we’re very important here in the Valley, and in California, we’re doing things at an even higher plateau. It is an example of what Fresno State can be and what Fresno State students can do,” Fresno State Athletic Director Terry Tumey told The Collegian. 

Bland immediately had his chance to show what Bulldogs can do, as he was the only Fresno State player to be selected in the 2022 NFL Draft when the Dallas Cowboys took him in the 5th round.

Bland transferred to Fresno State from Sacramento State in 2021, where he started 13 games and totaled 45 tackles.

Mosby signed as an undrafted free agent with the Carolina Panthers and joined the practice squad before being signed to the active roster on Sept. 21.

Rivers has run the NFC West carousel with stints at the Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks before signing to the Los Angeles Rams practice squad on Sept. 15. 

Rivers expected to hear his name called during the NFL draft at some point, but the call never came.

“There was disappointment and frustration,” Rivers told AZCardinals.com. “But you look past that and find positives in the situation because not everyone gets a chance. There are guys I know that didn’t even get an opportunity to attend camp. God has a different plan for everyone.”

Akingbulu is another Bulldog who found himself overlooked at the NFL draft. Following the draft, Akingbulu signed with the Philadelphia Stars, a team in the United States Football League (USFL), as an undrafted free agent. 

Akingbulu played five games at left tackle for the Stars, reaching the USFL championship game. Following the Stars’ season, he signed with the Washington Commanders and is currently part of its practice squad.

Although the Bulldogs football program is well represented at the professional level, there are several others making the jump.

“Many people tend to equate athletics to just some of our more high profile sports like football. When you look at excellence, it’s rampant, right? It’s so much more than just football,” Tumey said.

Orlando Robinson had a record-breaking season on the basketball court in his final year as a Bulldog. He became one of two players in NCAA history to record at least 700 points, 300 rebounds and 100 assists in his 36 games.

That was not enough to be selected in the NBA Draft, however. The 7-foot forward signed with the Miami Heat as a free agent in late June.

A pair of Diamond ‘Dogs continue to show what Fresno State’s athletic program can do as a whole. Zach Morgan and Andrew Kachel were both selected by the San Francisco Giants in the 2022 MLB Draft.

All-Mountain West first team catcher Morgan was selected in the seventh round and Kachel was selected in the 16th round, becoming the 88th and 89th players drafted under Mike Batesole since he became the ‘Dogs’ head coach in 2003.

Robyn McCarthy joins the list of Fresno State athletes to receive All-Mountain West first team honors. Her versatility and talent on the soccer pitch have led her to sign with USL W League team Indy Eleven.

There is a new crop of talented athletes the Valley is producing, but they continue to exemplify the values that makes Fresno State the Pride of the Valley, according to Tumey.

“Think about what we’re most proud of here as Fresno State people. We’re gritty. We work hard. We get it done,” Tumey said. “Those guys are examples of working hard and getting it done, even when people didn’t think well enough of you to be drafted.”