Aaron Judge was part of the Diamond Dogs for Fresno State from 2011-2013. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)

Aaron Judge making milestones in the big leagues

New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge is projected to break the franchise’s single-season home run record of 61, set by Roger Maris in 1961. 

Judge, a Fresno State alumnus, currently has hit 55 home runs this season, setting a new career-high for him. This leaves him just under a month left in the season to hit seven home runs. 

If Judge stays at the pace he’s at he is predicted to hit 64 home runs, according to Sarah Langs, reporter and analyst with the MLB.

The 6-foot-7-inch batter has had a strong performance overall this season. Judge has a batting average of .300 and has stolen 16 bases. His team is in first place in its division, and he is a favorite to win the American League Most Valuable Player Award, according to Bleacher Report

Judge’s performance may affect his decision to switch teams, as he enters free agency this offseason. 

However, when asked about resigning, he said he’d “be honored to wear pinstripes for a couple more years.”

Although he is playing the remainder of the season, Judge did not sign a contract extension. 

Fresno State’s head baseball coach, Mike Batesole, coached Judge in his time at Fresno State and said he has remained a team player who does not boast about his individual achievements since joining pro ball, emphasizing his humble attitude that he continues to carry on. 

“You listen to Judge after a game, and if he gets a game-winning hit or hits a couple of home runs, they interview him on the field after the game, and he always credits another teammate, never will you hear him talk about himself,” Batesole said.  

This attitude has never been a character trait that has wavered for Judge, according to Batesole.

This humble frame of mind is no coincidence. It stems back to when he was in college at Fresno State and even to the way that he was raised, Judge’s former coach said. 

“That comes from [his] mom and dad. And that’s probably the most important thing in the whole recruiting process: the dad, man,” Batesole said. “If the dad’s got some poise, some loyalty, some toughness, accountability and isn’t an excuse maker, there’s a real good chance that the son’s not going to be either. And then those kinds of kids are just great in the clubhouse in front of the coach.”

Aaron Judge was a part of the Diamond Dogs for Fresno State from 2011-2013. (Courtesy of Fresno State Athletics)