Arron Mosby playing against Boise State on Nov. 6, 2021. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Arron Mosby heading for Carolina as undrafted agent for the Panthers

Fresno State defensive end Arron Mosby said he thought he’d be picked in the 2022 NFL draft, but never got his name called. Instead, he signed with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent.

Now Mosby is getting ready to head to North Carolina on Thursday with “something to prove.”

Mosby played several positions for Fresno State, beginning at special teams in 2017 before moving to reserve safety in 2018. He started at linebacker in 2019, and at defensive end in 2021. He finished those five years with 151 career tackles.

This versatility is what he hopes will make him stand out at minicamp.

“I know I can play multiple positions over there, and they can use me in other than one spot, so that makes me more valuable for the team,” Mosby said.

When the Panthers called him it felt like “another welcoming,” according to Mosby, who had been there previously on a top 30 visit.

“It felt like home already, so it’s gonna be good to go back,” Mosby said.

Mosby is also looking forward to meeting Panthers head coach Matt Rhule, who was unavailable during Mosby’s top 30 visit due to a local day event, he said. So far Mosby has only spoken with the Panthers’ defensive coordinator, linebacker coach and defensive line coach.

Mosby said he and the coaches discussed his presentation and his work ethic, and they tried to gauge how fast he could learn plays, and handle adversity.

“That went pretty well, but it was a top 30 visit… so they’re really just trying to get to know you as much as possible,” he said.

In order to physically prepare for minicamp, Mosby said he’s been trying different kinds of training and conditioning, including time in the weight room, playing basketball, swimming and getting treatments on campus.

To mentally prepare, he’s been watching YouTube videos of other teams’ mini camps to see “what to expect.”

Mosby said going to Carolina undrafted is “the most exciting part” of the upcoming minicamp.

“[This is] a huge accomplishment, but I feel like the job’s not done, so I can’t be settling for less. I’ve got more to prove, but it is an accomplishment for me and my family,” he said.

Cornerback DaRon Bland, who was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the fifth round, making him the only Bulldog taken in this year’s draft, was Mosby’s roommate in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. Mosby said Bland was the first one up every day during their time rooming together, and the work ethic he displayed made it clear “there’s a reason why he got drafted.”

Running back Ronnie Rivers and defensive tackle Kevin Atkins also signed as undrafted free agents with the Arizona Cardinals and the San Francisco 49ers, respectively. Two other Bulldogs also received minicamp invites — Keric Wheatfall with the Philadelphia Eagles and Alex Akingbulu with the Cowboys.