Diamond ‘Dog Andrew Kachel waits on second base in the ‘Dogs game against Portland on March 6, 2022, at Pete Beiden Field at Bob Bennett Stadium. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Infielder Andrew Kachel is second Diamond ‘Dog drafted by Giants

Longtime San Francisco Giants fan Andrew Kachel was drafted by the Giants in the 16th round of the 2022 MLB First-Year Player Draft on July 19. He was the 496th pick.

Kachel is the second Bulldog to be drafted by the Giants after catcher Zach Morgan was taken in the seventh round on July 18. He was the first second baseman taken by the Giants in this year’s draft, and 10th overall from college ranks.

A Gilroy native, Kachel said he wasn’t the best in high school ball. When the offer from Fresno State came in, he saw an opportunity to “take this further.”

“[Fresno State] was my one and only offer,” he told Fresno State digital reporter Taylor Martinez. “I told myself that if this coaching staff believes in me enough to give me a scholarship, then I want to commit there. So I committed right there in [head coach Mike Batesole’s] office.”

Kachel is the 89th MLB draft selection under Batesole since he became head coach in 2003. Batesole was an instrumental figure in taking his game further, according to Kachel. 

“Hats off to him for making me who I am today as a hitter and a player,” Kachel said. “I came in weighing 160 without knowing anything about approaches. He changed that really quick.”

During the 2022 season Kachel started in 52 games, spending 41 at third base. He hit .302 from the plate with 61 hits in 202 at-bats, ranking second on the team with 42 runs scored. He tied for team lead with 11 home runs, totaling 24 throughout all three seasons at Fresno State.

Diamond ‘Dogs Ivan Luna and Andrew Kachel celebrate the Bulldogs’ 7-1 victory over Portland on March 6, 2022, at Pete Beiden Field at Bob Bennett Stadium. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

Like his teammate Morgan, Kachel said he would be grateful to go to any team, but grew up a Giants fan. 

“It doesn’t matter where I end up. I mean, it would be awesome [if it was the Giants], because the Giants are my hometown team and I grew up going to the Giants games,” Kachel said.

While Kachel said he is eager to start his journey to play in the city by the bay, he will always be fond of his time in the heart of the Central Valley. 

“When you hear that music, the Red Wave cheering and the national anthem, [there’s] nothing better than that feeling right there,” he said. “It never gets old. I’m going to miss that energy.”