Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 28, 2021; Fresno, California, USA; Fresno State Bulldogs defensive end Arron Mosby (3) reacts after making a defensive stop against the Connecticut Huskies in the first quarter at Bulldog Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

Four Fresno State Bulldogs make the jump for professional play

The 2022 NFL draft occurred this weekend and four Fresno State Bulldogs were picked to join well-known teams. 

DaRon Bland, Ronnie Rivers, Arron Mosby and Kevin Atkins received the call to further their careers professionally. 

Cornerback Bland was the 167th overall pick and received the call to officially sign with the Dallas Cowboys in the fifth round. Bland is the first Bulldog to be drafted since 2020 when offensive guard Netane Muti was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the sixth round. 

Bland transferred to Fresno State from Sacramento State in 2020. During his senior season he appeared in 13 games and started in nine at cornerback. He finished fifth on the team with 45 tackles (34 solo) and played in the 2022 NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

At Fresno State’s Pro Day, he recorded the fastest 40-yard dash time running a 4.42 while also performing the highest vertical jump at 35.5 inches.

DaRon Bland makes a run at the Fresno State against Boise State on Nov. 6 at Bulldog Stadium. (Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)

After the draft, three Bulldogs signed NFL deals as undrafted free agents. Running back Rivers signed with the Arizona Cardinals, defensive end/outside linebacker Mosby signed with the Carolina Panthers and defensive tackle Atkins signed with the San Francisco 49ers. 

Rivers was the only Bulldog invited to the NFL Combine and ran a 4.6 40-yard dash time but was able to improve that time at the Bulldogs’ Pro Day in early April. 

He finished his collegiate career as the all-time school record holder with 52 career touchdowns and 40 rushing touchdowns. He also finished as Fresno State’s third all-time leading rusher with 3,417 career yards from 2017 to 2021. 

Mosby went from special teams star in 2017 to reserve safety in 2018. In 2019, Mosby went on to start at linebacker, and in 2021 to start at defensive end. He finished with 151 career tackles from 2017 to 2021.

Atkins will join former Bulldog teammate Josh Hokit, who remains on the 49ers practice squad after signing as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He had 45 starts for Fresno State, starting at least five games in each of his five seasons from 2017 to 2021. 

Atkins finished his Bulldog career with 101 tackles and 17.5 sacks. He had career-bests of 41 tackles, seven sacks and two fumble recoveries as a super senior in 2021.

Kevin Atkins (90) The Fresno State Bulldogs take on the UNLV Rebels on September 24, 2021 at Bulldog Stadium in Fresno, California. (Samuel Marshall Photography)