New Downtown Fresno event will debut at Warnors Theatre this month

Wyatt Bible
Warnors Theatre is located on the North corner of Tuolumne and Fulton streets.

A new series of events in Downtown Fresno will once again fill the streets with people and the air with sounds of music and scents of food.

On Jan. 31, the Downtown Fresno Partnership announced on social media that a new series of block parties will begin this month in the area.

Hosted by the Downtown Fresno Partnership and curated by local businesses, “Around the Block” will be highlighting different areas in Downtown Fresno every two months with a free block party for the community. It will be a five-part series of parties, kicking off in the Cultural Arts District on Feb. 16 at Warnors Theatre from 5-9 p.m.

“It’s going to be different from each one. The cool thing is that each block has different things to offer just a little bit of everything for everyone,” said Marissa Arreguin, Downtown Fresno Partnership event coordinator.

The Warnors Theatre block party will include music, karaoke, workshops for jewelry-making and skincare, a movie screening inside the theatre, a bar inside of Frank’s Place, a photo booth, and, of course, food trucks.

These events aim to provide entertainment to locals looking for things to do on a Friday night, as well as support local businesses and venues. Arreguin emphasized it would be great for students to stop by, as they can ride the new free trolley that will drop them off a block away.

Arreguin says the main difference between Around the Block and other Art Hop-like events is that it’s not focusing on vendors, but rather the bricks-and-mortar businesses themselves.

The goal of “Around the Block” is to celebrate Downtown more intimately than the previous Fulton Street Party from last year. It will highlight the businesses by showing what they can provide, not just during this event, but anytime someone makes their way downtown.

Arreguin said other areas will be featured in the following months, including the M Street Galleries, the Brewery District and Fulton and Merced streets. She says there’s also an opportunity for “Around the Block” to continue after the fifth event.

“We’re going [to] see how it goes after the five and if it’s good engagement, and the businesses are into it, then we’ll definitely continue,” Arreguin said.