Speech Arts building reopens, temporarily powered by generator energy

Courtesy of Julie Logan
Cables and wires coming from the Speech Arts building to power the generators. Generators were brought in to temporarily power the building while the damaged transformer is being fixed.

The Speech Arts building reopened as of noon on Monday, Dec. 4.

“Please be advised that the power to the Speech Arts building has been restored. A new generator has been connected and the building will reopen at noon today (Monday, Dec. 4),” said Tinnah Medina, associate vice president of Facilities Management in a student-wide email.

The building was originally supposed to open at the beginning of the day on Monday. A failed generator caused the reopening to be delayed by a few hours.

On Sunday, Dec. 3, the matinee performance of “Seminar” was also canceled because of a failed generator. With the power back on, the show is scheduled to continue as planned through Dec. 9.

The Department of Theatre and Dance also stores its inventory of costumes, props and sets in the basement of Speech Arts, which may have faced damages due to the flooding.

It is still unclear who will pay for these financial losses, though campus officials say it appears that the contractors involved are responsible.

The problems started Nov. 29 after a damaged hot water line led to the evacuation and closure of the building.

The building will remain powered by generator energy until the transformer can be fully fixed.

“We will continue to keep the building on the generator until we have a final assessment on the transformer,” Medina said.