Power outage and flooding in Speech Arts building leads to evacuation and cancellation of classes

Empty classroom in the Speech Arts Building at Fresno State on Nov. 29. The building was evacuated due to a power outage caused by flooding related to the Central Utility Plant Replacement project.
Fresno State Focus

Update 10:48 p.m. Nov. 29

Following a power outage and flooding in the Speech Arts building caused by an issue with a hot water line, the building remains closed.

“In regards to an update on the status of restoring power and heat as a result of the hot water line break and flooding of the basement in the Speech Arts Building, our team is currently in the process of doing a national search to procure the necessary specialty fuses (for the transformer) that were damaged,” Facilities Management said in an email forwarded to faculty by Honora Chapman, dean of the College of Arts and Humanities.

Fresno State Focus, the weekly TV news show, broadcast its last show of the semester live from a room in the Resnick Student Union using phone cameras and lights.

The regular monthly management meeting for The Collegian, scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday, has also been moved to the RSU.

Facilities Management is currently exploring other alternatives for “Seminar,” the upcoming theater production, and for KFSR radio, which has its studios in the building.

“We are also aware of the theater performances that begin this Friday, December 1, and we are exploring interim plans so as not to impact the ability to host these performances and this includes KFSR,” Facilities Management said.

There will be another update at noon Thursday, and the Speech Arts building will remain closed until further notice. Classes in the building are also canceled for the time being.

Original story (published 4:28 p.m. Nov. 29)

The Speech Arts building is currently without power and classes in the building are canceled.

Around 12:45 p.m. Fresno State had a major issue with a hot water line in the basement of the building, associated with the Central Utility Plant Replacement project, according to Lisa Bell, public information officer for Fresno State.

“The flooding caused the main building transformer to go down so there is currently no power to the Speech Arts building,” Bell said.

According to a Fresno State Focus post on X (formerly Twitter) at 1:54 p.m., Fresno State Facilities evacuated students and staff from the premises.

Professors ensured a complete evacuation by looking through the hallways with flashlights, the post said.

Currently, both the Fresno State Focus crew and editorial classes have been moved to the Resnick Student Union.

Fresno State Focus is scheduled to do a live broadcast at 4 p.m. and they are unsure how they will execute it without power.

“At this time we do not know when power will be restored,” Bell said.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated when more information is available.