Fresno State football accepts bid to New Mexico Bowl

Erik+Brooks+celebrates+after+completing+a+touchdown+against+Kent+State+at+Valley+Childrens+Stadium+on+Sept.+23.+
Diego Vargas/The Collegian
Erik Brooks celebrates after completing a touchdown against Kent State at Valley Children’s Stadium on Sept. 23.

The Fresno State football team is going bowling for its third straight season. The ‘Dogs accepted their bid today to the Isleta New Mexico Bowl, where they’ll be playing against New Mexico State. 

The teams will prepare to face each other in just under two weeks with the game scheduled to be played on Saturday, Dec. 16, at University Stadium in Albuquerque. 

Both teams are going into the bowl game with their previous games being losses. 

New Mexico State fell short in the Conference USA Championship against Liberty University 49-35. 

Fresno State’s last game was the regular season 33-18 loss against San Diego State for the Old Oil Can trophy. 

The Bulldogs and the Aggies both beat Power Five schools this season and had more wins than losses. 

The Aggies have a 10-4 overall record and beat SEC opponent Auburn University on Nov. 18. On the other hand, the Bulldogs have an 8-4 overall record and beat Big Ten member Purdue, in the season opener with a score of 39-25. 

This is also the first game this season that the Bulldogs will play without Head Coach Jeff Tedford, who stepped away from coaching due to health concerns, following an announcement that was made on Friday, Dec. 1. 

The national televised game will be shown on ESPN at 2:45 p.m. PT.