San Diego State ends Fresno State’s regular season

Julian+Neal+walks+out+of+the+ramp+at+Valley+Childrens+Stadium+on+Nov.+18.+
Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Julian Neal walks out of the ramp at Valley Children’s Stadium on Nov. 18.

The Fresno State football team closed out its season on a three-game losing streak. 

Unlike the start of the season, the ‘Dogs failed to come out on top toward the end, losing to San Jose State and getting knocked out of the championship game with a loss to New Mexico State

But the losses didn’t end there. 

On Saturday, Nov. 25, the Bulldogs were outscored by the Aztecs 33-18 at Snapdragon Stadium. 

The game began strong for Bulldog quarterback Mikey Keene and the offense. 

On the first drive, with only four plays, running back Malik Sherrod ran straight through the middle of the Aztecs’ defense to get in the end zone for a 62 yard rushing touchdown. 

Shortly after, an extra point successfully put the ‘Dogs on top 7-0 early in the first quarter. 

Building off the momentum, the Bulldogs’ defense held the Aztecs to just a field goal, ending the first quarter 7-3. 

Opening up the second quarter the Aztecs once again fell short of the touchdown, so they settled for a field goal. 

In a 7-6 point game, the ‘Dogs couldn’t find a rhythm offensively as they did in their opening drive. San Diego State remained strong and forced Fresno State off the field with no points. 

With just over eight minutes left in the second quarter, the Aztec offense scored a 70 yard rushing touchdown to take the lead to 13-7. 

Throughout the game, the Aztecs accumulated more rushing yards than the ‘Dogs with 226 yards compared to the ‘Dogs 151.  

The Aztecs continued strong on offense, scoring another field goal yet again. 

After not scoring, the Bulldogs were able to make completions to get down the field. As the clock was approaching zero the ‘Dogs had one attempt at a field goal. 

From 43 yards back, Bulldog kicker Dylan Lynch knocked down the three-pointer to make it a one score game going into halftime, 16-10. 

Early in the third quarter, both teams made key stops not allowing either team to get on the board. 

Despite only being down by 6 points, the ‘Dogs’ offense failed to get on the board. 

After several stops, the Aztecs scored a 1 yard rushing touchdown that would be the only score of the quarter. 

The Aztecs concluded the third quarter ahead, 23-10. 

Coming off the touchdown, the Aztecs began the final quarter with a field goal to extend the advantage 26-10. 

Playing from behind, the Bulldogs found a way to march down the field and score off of a rushing touchdown by Sherrod. Following the touchdown, Keene threw a pass to Bulldog wide receiver Jalen Moss for a successful two-point conversion, making the score 26-18. 

In a key moment to keep the game at a one-possession score, the ‘Dogs defense wasn’t able to keep the Aztecs out of the end zone, allowing the Aztecs 7 points to secure the game. 

The Aztecs defeated the Bulldogs 33-18. 

The Fresno State football team ended its season in sixth place in the Mountain West conference going 8-4 overall and 4-4 in conference play. The ‘Dogs are still bowl-eligible and will play in a bowl game that is still to be announced.