Fresno State suffers blowout loss to San Jose State

Bulldog+tight+end+Tre+Watson+pushes+through+a+tackle+while+carrying+the+ball+at+CEFCU+Stadium+on+Nov.+11.+
Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian
Bulldog tight end Tre Watson pushes through a tackle while carrying the ball at CEFCU Stadium on Nov. 11.

SAN JOSE – For just the second time in its last 19 games, the Fresno State football team suffered a loss. 

The Bulldogs lost 42-18 to the San Jose State Spartans, giving the Spartans the Valley trophy at the CEFCU Stadium on Nov. 10.

Fresno State had previously won two straight games against San Jose State.

The loss drops the Bulldogs to 8-2 on the season and 4-2 in the Mountain West. It also puts Fresno State in a three-way tie for third place with San Jose State and Boise State. 

“They’re a really good football team. They’re probably the hottest team in the conference,” Head Coach Jeff Tedford said in the postgame news conference.

To add salt to the wound, the ‘Dogs lost two starters to injuries.

Left tackle Jacob Spomer and quarterback Mikey Keene both left the game due to injuries. 

Mac Dalena runs into the endzone for a touchdown at CEFCU Stadium. (Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian)

In the postgame news conference, Tedford hinted that Spomer is likely “finished” for the year. 

San Jose State wasted no time on its first drive of the game. In just six plays, the Spartansdrove 80 yards and scored a touchdown on a 25 yard pass from quarterback Chevan Cordeiro to wide receiver Maikhi Miller, going up 7-0.

The Bulldogs’ opening possession was four minutes longer than the Spartans. On the drive, they converted three of their four third-down attempts. The drive ended with three points as Dylan Lynch made a 31 yard field goal to make it 7-3.

Just like their first drive, the Spartans put together a quick and potent drive that ended in seven points. They went 60 yards on seven plays for an average of 8.6 yards per play. The drive ended with Cordeiro throwing his second touchdown pass of the night as he connected with wide receiver Isaac Jernagin for the seven-yard score. 

Down 11 and the team needing a spark, Keene threw an interception to give the Spartans a chance to build their lead.

The Spartans would take advantage of Keene’s mistake, adding another touchdown. This one came on a four-yard run from Kairee Robinson.

The scoring continued for San Jose State. Just 13 seconds into the second quarter, Cordeiro threw his third touchdown of the night to another wide receiver. This one went to Nick Nash for 14 yards. 

Trailing 28-3, this marked the first time all season that Fresno State has trailed by a 20-point or more deficit. 

With the team desperately needing a touchdown to stay in the game, Keene threw a 39 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mac Dalena, cutting the lead to 28-10.

For the first time in the game, the Bulldogs’ defense forced the Spartans to punt.

The team huddles together on the field during a timeout. (Carlos Rene Castro/The Collegian)

Fresno State appeared to have kept the momentum going in their favor after picking up two consecutive first downs. Two plays later, Keene was scrambling on third down, and while he attempted to dive for the first down, he took a hard hit and was taken out of the game. 

On 4th and 2, quarterback Logan Fife evaded pressure and delivered a first-down throw to wide receiver Erik Brooks.  

With the ‘Dogs in field goal range, Fife was sacked and they were forced to punt. 

The 18-point halftime deficit was the largest the team faced since 2017 when they trailed Washington 41-7. 

The first drive of the second half started off promising for Fresno State, with Fife and the offense driving down to San Jose State’s 25-yard line.

On 2nd and 7, Fife attempted a deep throw to wide receiver Josiah Freeman; the pass was intercepted on the 2-yard line and returned all the way for a Spartans touchdown to give them a commanding 35-10 lead.

Robinson scored his second touchdown of the game to put the Spartans up 42-10. In total, he accumulated 200 rushing yards. 

Fresno State added one more touchdown from wide receiver Jalen Moss and a two-point conversion from Jake Boust, but it wasn’t enough, losing 42-18.

The ‘Dogs will return home to Valley Children’s Stadium on. Nov. 18 for Senior Night against New Mexico.No