Fresno State’s Bulldog Marching Band joins the Metallica marching band competition

(Melina Kazanjian/The Collegian)
The Bulldog Marching Band performs before a sold out crowd during a Fresno State football game.

The iconic heavy metal band Metallica is challenging marching bands of any level to perform spectacular and energized covers of their music.

Divided between collegiate and high school divisions, bands with the most impressive performances will win customized music equipment, furnished by Metallica and competition sponsors for their school’s programs.

Fresno State’s Bulldog Marching Band will be entering the fray. All entries are subject to judging and public voting, which is where the Fresno State student body comes in. In addition to two rounds of judges and members of Metallica choosing the finalists, the third and final round requires public voting. All finalist entries will be displayed on the official contest website where the public will be able to vote for their favorites in both the collegiate and high school categories. All submissions can be viewed here.

The public voting period begins November 17, 2023, at 7 a.m. PST and ends on December 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PST. The contest winners in both categories will be announced on the week of January 1, 2024.