Concert review: Jonas Brothers’ ‘The Tour’ inspires feelings of nostalgia

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
The Jonas Brothers, composed of Kevin Jonas (left), Joe Jonas (middle) and Nick Jonas (right), perform at the Save Mart Center as a part of “The Tour.”

In 2019 when the Jonas Brothers first announced their reunion, I was ecstatic that a piece of my childhood would be brought back for me to enjoy as an adult. I remember patiently waiting for their music video “Sucker” to be dropped and consuming every piece of “JoBros” media I could find.

In the four years that the band has been back together, my enthusiasm for the Jonas Brothers has weaned slightly. However, my appreciation for the band has not.

When the Jonas Brothers first announced their tour “The Tour” and claimed that at each show they would play every song off of their five albums in one night, I was intrigued. Social media stars who had attended their first New York performance raved about the show and the nostalgia they experienced at this concert.

When it was announced that “The Tour” would be making a stop in Fresno at the Save Mart Center, I jumped at the opportunity to see this acclaimed performance myself.

As the show neared, I shared my excitement with fellow staff members and friends over watching the Jonas Brothers live for the first time. I was prepared to sing along to every song with my friends, reliving our childhood.

One thing is for sure, the Jonas Brothers know how to put on a concert, and with years of experience as teen heartthrobs, the band is aware of what is and isn’t successful when putting on a show, such as constantly changing locations and engaging with their audiences. Nick and Joe each sang some of their songs from their solo careers, while Kevin did what Kevin does best, rock out with his fellow instrumentalist.

Among the first few songs they played was “SOS” and as they performed, I was transported back to 2007 when I would scour through my iPod shuffle to listen to that very song. I couldn’t wait for the rest of the night for more nostalgia to be brought my way. I soon realized that my knowledge of the JoBros’ catalog was not as expansive as I thought it was, and this seemed to be true of those around me.

The Jonas Brothers bring a wave of nostalgia with their performances of older hits. (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

Just as the audience was explosive when the band played their famed cover version of Busted’s “Year 3000,” the crowd was almost silent as they played “Got Me Going Crazy.” This lack of audience participation did not deter the brothers as they continued to pour the same amount of energy into the performance of each song.

The Nov. 2 performance was a special one on Jonas’ tour as it was the first show from the tour in which they played a song from their Christmas catalog. As they performed “Like It’s Christmas,” artificial snow rained down from the ceiling, welcoming those in attendance into the holiday season.

Ultimately the show was a success and the brothers’ ability to connect and perform well with each other was evident. Signs proclaiming individuals’ love for different band members were scattered around the venue. Nick and Joe captured the audience’s attention from their first notes. At the end of the three-hour concert, I’m still not 100% convinced Kevin’s mic was ever on.