Pawsitively proud: Meet the top dog of Fresno State

Victor E. Bulldog IV has been the mascot for a few months but has already captured the hearts of many. (Diego Vargas/The Collegian)

“Victor E. is working like a bulldog.” The phrase that is associated with the ongoing construction at Fresno State is also accurate for describing Victor E. IV, the school’s live mascot.

Victor E. IV, or “V,” as he’s called by his primary caretaker Jacquelyn Glasener, was born on June 22, 2022, and was just 10 months old when he took over the mantle of live mascot.

During a typical year, “Victor E.” makes around 300 appearances—these range from football games to community events.

“Our live mascot is a source of pride for Fresno State and our Valley,” Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval told The Collegian in an email. “Victor E. immediately engages with students across our region, fosters pride and is an ambassador of the best that distinguishes Fresno State.”

V is very popular with students as well due to his outgoing personality.

“He always brings people closer together, whether it’s with his zoomies outburst or slobbery personality,” ASI Senator Zach Ortiz said.

Ortiz also plays hockey at Fresno State and described the impact V made when he showed up at Gateway Ice Center.

“We invited him to our home opener, and the fans absolutely loved him; just his presence alone makes everyone smile,” Ortiz said. “I love the little guy and I always look forward to seeing him!”

Glasener has been the sole caretaker of V since he took over as the school’s live mascot on April 16. Glasener is the executive director of the Smittcamp Alumni Association.

Even though safety is Glasener’s No. 1 priority as caretaker for V, PETA called out Fresno State for its use of a live mascot in April.

“Shame on Fresno State for forcing a breathing-impaired breed with a grotesquely flat face to choke, cough, gag and suffer in the sweltering heat as its “mascot.” PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said in a statement prior to the passing of the collar. “If the university’s athletes suffered from deformed windpipes, they’d lose every game—and some of them would lose their lives from exertion.”

When responding to PETA, Glasener was transparent, telling them all of the safety requirements that go into V making an appearance.

Given that Fresno is known for its blistering heat, Glasener brings cooling systems whenever V goes to an event.

“We watch what the temperature is and we don’t do events that expose him to too much heat,” Glasener said. “We have a mobile air conditioner. We’re very conscious.”

When V isn’t going to an event, he’s just like any typical dog. He enjoys playing with his toys, his older brother Victor E. III and his sister Abby.

“They just hang out at home and be dogs,” Glasener said.

When he’s not playing with Abby and Victor E. III, V loves taking naps and running around the house.

“He loves to do the zoomies and run and jump all over the place,” Glasener said.

When Glasener first got V, she had to remove the table from the dining room and give that room to V as part of his potty training.

A regular Saturday morning for V includes a walk around the neighborhood, going to take a bath at the groomers and coming home to play with his siblings. V also goes with Glasener in his own personalized Lexus to get a car wash on some Saturdays.

On Sundays, Glasener tries to make time for V to attend tricks class. Due to the busy schedule right now, V will resume tricks class regularly in the spring. When motivated by a treat, V can already do tricks such as sit, shake, down, stand and turn.

One of the similarities between V and Victor E. III is that they both love being around people.

The only difference is that Victor E. III enjoyed it when people came up to him, whereas V likes to walk around and meet new people.

“The reason we choose these particular dogs is because of their temperament and how well they get along with people,” Glasener said.

One of the differences between the two bulldogs is how, during football games, Victor E. III would be able to track the ball while it was in the air, while V is still learning.

Whenever he walked by the cheerleaders, Victor E. III would jump up to try and grab the pompoms. As for V, Glasener is working with him on trying to overcome his challenges of staying away from the marching band instruments like tubas and trombones.

V and Glasener frequently work with associate marching band director Steve McKeithen to find a way to keep V away from the instruments.

The community can request for V to make an appearance at an event on the Fresno State website. Most of the questions on the request form regard the safety of V. The questions range from what food will be provided to whether there will be other animals at the event.

Just six months into his tenure as Fresno State’s live mascot, V has and will continue to “work like a bulldog.”