ASI hosts first senate meeting of the Fall 2023 semester

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Executive Vice President Rebecca Perez conducting roll call in Resnick Student Union room 207.

Associated Students Inc. hosted the first senate meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 6.

The meeting began promptly at 4 p.m. and went straight into the agenda items, as there were no public comments.

The senate motioned to approve two agenda items, followed by campus and administration reports.

Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Kent Willis was allotted a portion of time at the meeting where he was able to discuss updates from student affairs.

“As your Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, it is my pleasure and our pleasure collectively as a division to work with you and to have a collaborative relationship that promotes student success,” he said.

Willis also introduced the new dean of students, Terree Stevenson, who shared a few remarks about the new semester.

“I hope everyone is having a wonderful and prosperous semester thus far. Thank you for all the work that you are going to be doing, representing your campus community on ASI. I’m excited to partner with you and participate in upcoming events and activities,” Stevenson said.

Following the introductory reports, the senate moved on to address the action items on the agenda.

ASI President Karen Carrillo and Executive Vice President Rebecca Perez presented a campus wide academic consent calendar, which was approved.

The consent calendar will keep track of who is sitting on each campus committee and when.

After all of the action items were motioned. There were executive, staff and senator reports where each individual gave a brief summary of what projects they worked on over the summer and what they had planned for the semester.

The meeting adjourned at 4:52 p.m.

Carrillo spoke with The Collegian after the meeting where she shared her thoughts on the outcome of the first meeting.

“I was executive vice president last year, so to be kind of like on the sideline now is a bit of a cultural shock just because I held the position so sincere and dear to my heart. But I’m excited to see how Perez flourishes throughout this year,” she said.

As executive vice president, Perez is now in charge of running the senate meetings whereas Carrillo will now oversee the senators and campus committees.

Perez also spoke with The Collegian and expressed her excitement about the first meeting.

“It’s really exciting, this meeting was so exciting and all the senators are so excited. They already have so many projects and that makes me really excited because I get to help facilitate them all,” Perez said.