For Rent Dr J Ad

ASI appoints senator for the Craig School of Business

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Guadalupe Zamudio Telles.

The Associated Students Inc. senate voted Guadalupe Zamudio Telles to be the senator for the Craig School of Business at their meeting on Sept. 20.

Zamudio Telles is a second year student in the Craig School of Business. She is a first generation Mexican-American student who wants to implement a sense of community in the business college.

After being appointed, she told The Collegian that she is excited to start the new partnership with ASI because she wants to give back to her college.

“I feel very happy just because I know that the Craig School of Business definitely needs a lot more support on campus,” she said.

Before Sept. 20, there were four vacant college senator positions.

The internal affairs committee reviewed applications and invited select candidates to present at the ASI senate meeting.

After presentations of eight candidates, two for each college, only the Craig School of Business position was filled.

Tension filled the meeting as each vote failed to pass because of abstentions and opposing votes from several senators.

“I just want to remind us that students put us in these positions [senators] so that we can serve them. The next two weeks of not having a meeting and then from there getting new applicants, we’re doing a disservice to the students,” said Miguel Perez, senator for student affairs and engagement to the senate.

Each candidate was given time for a three-minute speech, followed by three questions from the senate and then two minutes for a closing statement. After this process was complete, the senate came together for a roll call vote.

Following the failure to appoint a senator for Greek affairs and a senator for student affairs, Executive Vice President Rebecca Perez called for a 20 minute recess.

The senate recessed at 5:06 p.m. and moved forward to presentations for a senator for the College of Science and Mathematics and a senator for the Craig School of Business.

The senate failed to appoint a senator for CSM.

During her speech, Zamudio Telles spoke about how the business school has a lot of potential. The only thing missing is outreach, she said.

“There’s so much potential within the Craig School of Business. There’s so much potential within our students. It’s just about finding those voices out there and reaching out to them,” Zamudio Telles said.

Zamudio Telles won the vote with two abstentions, eight yeses and three opposing.

Aside from voting to fill the senator vacancies, there were also short updates from campus officials.

Julie Kamana, a staff member in the department of Auxiliary Services, gave a report on finances and expenditures. She also reported on the campus’ net assets and ASI Funding.

Rashanda Booker, the inaugural university diversity officer, spoke about how since her role started on Jan. 3, the division has been working diligently to create programs that will start to make a difference on campus.

“I cannot believe that it’s almost been a year. Time has gone by so fast, but I’m so thankful to share that we have been very busy at the Division of Equity and Engagement largely in part with collaboration with ASI,” Booker said.

Booker also announced that the application for the Student Equity Advisory Council (SEAC) will launch on Oct. 2.

The meeting concluded with approval of the campus wide consent calendar, executive reports, senator reports and staff reports.

The senate motioned to adjourn at 6:03 p.m.