ASI adopts ceasefire resolution and calls for peace in Gaza

Diego Vargas/The Collegian
Frederick Lisitsa, executive vice president of Associated Students Inc., recuses himself from his position to present a ceasefire resolution to the student senate on April 10.

Fresno State’s Associated Students, Inc. voted to adopt a ceasefire resolution at their senate meeting on Wednesday, April 10, calling for an immediate ceasefire for the conflict in Gaza.

The resolution, which was drafted primarily by ASI President Karen Carrillo and Executive Vice President Frederick Lisitsa, had input from senators, students and staff. The ceasefire resolution received 12 votes in support, four abstentions and zero opposing votes.

• AYES: Jazmyn Barron, Francisco Cardinale, Alysa Garaygordobil, Elise Guerra, Ingeborg Kisbye, David Klein, Luis Manzo, Seth Mays-Meneley, Nicholas Monroe, Victor Munive Rodriguez, Miguel Perez-Esparza, Ivan Trujillo
  • ABSTENTIONS: Marcos Mendez, Zachary Ortiz, Varun Raj, Faith Van Hoven

Lisitsa introduced the resolution during public comment, recusing himself from his position as EVP to speak.

“I truly believe that us calling for peace in this place so far away, is not picking a side,” Lisitsa said during public comment. “It is being human.”

President Carrillo wrote a statement presented at the senate meeting, urging the student senators to vote in favor of the resolution. Carrillo was not present, as she was in Washington D.C. with President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval for advocacy work.

“As members of the student government we are tasked with upholding the values of diversity, equity and inclusion within our university community,” said Zulema Rico, speaking on Carrillo’s behalf as a proxy. “The resolution before us is not about choosing sides in a conflict’s geopolitical struggle. It is about recognizing the humanity of those impacted by violence and advocating for a ceasefire to prevent further suffering.”

The resolution recognizes the impact that the conflict has had on both the Palestinian and Israeli communities with deaths of over 32,000 people, more than 75,000 injuries and approximately 250 hostages. It also urges community leaders, and the city of Fresno to join in calling for peace in the Gaza Strip.

“Our goal is to encourage empathy, informed dialogue and engagement in international issues, fostering a campus and community environment that values peace, respect and the wellbeing of all individuals affected by global conflicts,” Carrillo and Lisitsa wrote in the resolution.

Lisitsa’s appeal to the senate emphasized that the call for a ceasefire was not political in nature. He noted that ASI’s endorsement of Measure E earlier this year was done because they felt the measure would support students. Lisitsa argued that he was not asking for the senate committee to choose a side, rather, he was asking for them to call for peace and to recognize the conflict’s impact on students.

“We have Palestinian and Israeli students that we represent that we must be respectful to,” he said. “So why not demonstrate that we just want peace?”

According to the resolution document, similar resolutions have been passed or are in the process of being drafted on seven other CSU campuses. The California State Student Association’s Systemwide Committee also unanimously approved a ceasefire resolution on March 9.