Street light replacement along Shaw Avenue generates additional traffic near campus

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
The street lights along Shaw Avenue will be replaced beginning March 4 and will last until May 10. Traffic will be monitored and redirected as needed.

Traffic Operations sent out an email to students on March 1 stating that there would be “intermittent vehicle and pedestrian traffic impacts” along Shaw Ave, from Lot G to the Save Mart Center.

Shaw Avenue will be experiencing impacts due to street light replacement. The project started on March 4 and is scheduled to be completed by May 10.

The street lights on the side of the street will be replaced, not traffic lights.

This project is not on Fresno State property and is not affiliated with the university.

“This project was initiated by the City of Fresno and we’ve been in regular communication with them throughout the planning process,” said Derek Brantley, parking and transportation manager of Fresno State.

When asked why the street lights were being replaced Brantley said:

“To upgrade existing steel light poles with LED lights, install underground electrical conduit, install new steel poles and replace existing wooden light poles with steel poles and LED fixtures in order to improve visibility.”

This improvement is set to take place for the next two months, but there will be beneficial impacts for drivers.

“The lighting upgrades will improve visibility along the north side of Shaw Avenue between Cedar Avenue and Chestnut Avenue,” Brantley said.

Students are informed to plan extra travel time to and from campus as the project is going on.

“Students may experience heavier than normal vehicular traffic along Shaw Avenue due to periodic lane traffic lane reductions,” Brantley said.

The main entrances to campus will be affected due to the impacted areas, but will remain open.

“Campus entrances will remain accessible, but it is recommended to plan for extra travel time when coming to or leaving campus via Shaw Avenue,” according to the email. “Pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be redirected as needed.”

The exact areas of impact are indicated on the map provided in the email.