‘Sanctuary City’ makes its debut on University Theatre’s stage

Photo courtesy of Miguel Gastelum
Paulina D. Marín Contreras (left) portrays the role of G and Chris Ortiz-Belcher (rights) portrays the role of B.

A compelling play written by a Pulitzer Prize-winner is coming to Fresno.

“Sanctuary City” peeks into the life of undocumented youth living in a society that harnesses hostility toward immigrants. The play follows the struggles of two teenagers living in a country that was not designed with their livelihoods in mind who are trying to make lives for themselves in America. It premieres at Fresno State on March 15.

“Sanctuary City” was written by Martyna Majok and was produced by New York Theatre Workshop. According to TRW Plays, it had an Off-Broadway engagement in 2020 and again in 2021. The play received an Edgerton Foundation New Play Award and a Laurents/Hatcher Foundation Theater Development Grant, according to the New York Theatre Workshop.

The main themes of the play are the complexities and hardships that come along with immigrant life, seeking asylum, living with financial struggles, and more than anything, being young while experiencing all of these hardships.

The play opens in a post-9/11 New Jersey where G and B, two teenage friends who were both brought to America as children, devise a plan to get married so that B may remain legally in the country. This play is being brought to Fresno State by director Gina Sandí-Díaz.

“I fell in love with Sanctuary City the moment I read it. In terms of structure, I was intrigued by the non-linearity of the script and became really excited thinking of ways to stage it,” Sandí-Diaz said. “In terms of content, the story is so warm and yet, so utterly heartbreaking. As an immigrant myself, I am drawn to stories that unveil the hardships of migration.”

“Sanctuary City” follows the vulnerable yet inviolable lives of two undocumented teenagers. (Photo courtesy of Miguel Gastelum)

The two lead characters, G and B, will be played by Paulina Marin Contreras and Chris Ortiz Belcher. Those involved say they are excited to see the impact it has on audiences.

“My favorite part about playing the character of G is that I get to bring light to her struggles,” Contreras said. “She is a very complicated character who was handed a challenge that many don’t understand. Being able to explore that and connect to who she is has helped me to grow as an actor and also as a woman.”

“Sanctuary City” will run from March 15-23 at the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre, located in the Speech Arts Building. Tickets and showtimes can be found on Fresno State’s website. Tickets for students are $10 and general admission tickets are $17.