‘Jingle and Mingle’ opens up opportunities to meet new people

Student painting a tote bag at Fresno State Spotlight Events Jingle and Mingle event on Dec. 5 in the Resnick Student Union.
Student painting a tote bag at Fresno State Spotlight Events’ “Jingle and Mingle event on Dec. 5 in the Resnick Student Union.
Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian

With finals week fast approaching, students had the opportunity to take their focus away from their studies and enjoy some holiday activities.

Fresno State Spotlight Events hosted Jingle and Mingle in the Resnick Student Union (RSU) on Dec. 5 and the event was free for all Fresno State students.

The event had many different activities the students could partake in, including a hot chocolate station with whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkles and more. Students were also able to design tote bags with unique holiday designs.

There was also a game where students had the chance to win prizes like gift cards and fuzzy socks.

Ricky Oaks, a Fresno State student who spends a lot of time in the RSU, said when he saw on social media that an event was taking place, he decided to attend.

“I actually really wanted hot chocolate and a tote bag, so I was like, ‘I got an hour before class, so why not try to have a little fun,’” Oaks told The Collegian.

The title of “Jingle and Mingle” held true for Arlen Leon, who said her favorite part of the event was seeing new faces.

“My favorite part of the event was meeting new people because I didn’t know a lot of people when I came in,” Leon said.

Leon enjoys going to on-campus events and meeting new people.

When asked if she would attend more events like Jingle and Mingle, Leon responded saying she has been trying to attend more events this semester.

Given that December is often a stressful month for students getting ready for finals, Oaks thinks that having fun at campus events is an excellent way to destress.

“I think it’s a great idea to have events around the times of finals,” Oaks said. “Everyone is stressing about procrastinating last-minute assignments and studying for exams so having an event to take our minds off of the stress is a great relaxer.”