The ‘Dogs quell the Rebels in Homecoming game

Fresno+State+linebacker+Levelle+Bailey+celebrates+after+a+play+at+Valley+Childrens+Stadium+on+Oct.+28.+
Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Fresno State linebacker Levelle Bailey celebrates after a play at Valley Children’s Stadium on Oct. 28.

Fresno State football returned home after 28 days to top off Homecoming week with a 31-24 win over the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

The Bulldogs went through a tough second quarter and trailed at the end of the first half, but managed to bounce back and take the victory.

“That’s a 6-1 team we just played. They’re going to have their times, too, where they’re successful. We found a way to win tonight, and that’s the most important thing,” Head Coach Jeff Tedford said in the postgame conference

The win puts Fresno State (7-1) at 3-1 in the Mountain West after crushing UNLV’s five-game win streak. The Bulldogs remain in control of their own destiny for a bid in the conference championship game.

Before losing to the Bulldogs, the Rebels had only lost to No. 2 Michigan on Sept. 9.

Fresno State’s defense went to work right away. The Rebels got a first down on their first drive, but were forced to punt after failing to convert a second time.

The Bulldogs made the most out of it on their first drive in 11 plays, ending with a 31-yard pass to right field from quarterback Mikey Keene to Tim Grear Jr.

Keene returned to the starting lineup after Logan Fife filled in for him against Utah State due to an injury.

However, it was after the first touchdown that the ‘Dogs began to have struggles in the first half.

The Rebels responded immediately on the next drive with UNLV quarterback Jayden Maiava passing down the middle to Ricky White, who caught the ball and ran down the right sideline into the endzone to tie up the game 7-7.

Phoenix Jackson motions ‘no good’ to UNLV players. (Jacqueline Carillo/The Collegian)

The second quarter began with UNLV punting the ball, but Fresno State didn’t get anything out of its next drive as Keene was intercepted by Jaxen Turner at the Bulldogs’ 35-yard line for the first turnover of the night.

The Rebels turned it around and took the lead, but had to settle with a 30 yard field goal by kicker Jose Pizano after the Bulldogs kept them at bay in the red zone.

Fresno State struggled to get past its own half of the field and was once again forced to punt.

UNLV later extended its lead near the end of the first half as Jai’Den Thomas rushed 4 yards to the right, making the score 17-10 at the end of the half.

The Bulldogs were scoreless during the second quarter.

Former Head Coach Pat Hill was inducted into the Ring of Honor during halftime.

The crowd paid respect to him by rallying together in unison to say his iconic catchphrase: “Anybody. Anytime. Anywhere.”

“This is home for me,” Hill said in front of more than 41,000 fans in attendance at Valley Children’s Stadium. “I wasn’t born a Bulldog but I became one, and I’ll be a Bulldog until the day I’m dead.”

These words seemingly fired up the Bulldogs in the locker room at halftime as the team went from being scoreless in the second quarter to scoring 24 and playing one of Fresno State’s best quarters all season in the third.

Fresno State received the ball to start the second half.

The Rebels forced Fresno State to punt, but the tides quickly turned in the Bulldogs’ favor as punt returner Jacob De Jesus muffed the ball, which Fresno State defensive back Steven Comstock recovered.

“That was huge. It was a huge play for us that got the momentum swinging our way,” said defensive back Dean Clark.

Fresno State took advantage of the muff and scored on its next drive with a 15 yard touchdown pass from Keene to Mac Dalena, cutting the Rebel lead to 17-14.

Jake Tarwater (left) and Johnny Hudson Jr. (right) cover for a field goal. (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

Keene passed for 84 yards during the first half but ended the game passing for a total of 256 yards and 4 touchdowns. The Bulldog quarterback later threw his third touchdown pass of the night, throwing down the middle to Erik Brooks to make it 21-17 and recover the lead for Fresno State.

The defense also made big plays in the third quarter.

Fresno State’s Clark picked off a pass from UNLV’s Maiava for his first interception with the Bulldogs. Bulldog Isaiah Johnson forced a fumble, which Clark also recovered.

Dylan Lynch kicked a 36 yard field goal to make it 24-17 with 2:23 left in the third quarter.

Keene threw a 3 yard touchdown to Malik Sherrod, who extended his left arm to get the ball over the goal line before going out of bounds on the right sideline, extending the lead to 31-17.

The Rebels shortened Fresno State’s lead to 31-24 near the beginning of the fourth quarter with a 15 yard pass down the middle from Maiava to White.

UNLV was closing in on sending the game into overtime near the end of regulation, but Bulldog Levelle Bailey picked off a pass intended for Senika McKie to get his second game-winning interception of the season.

“Last season I didn’t have any turnovers. Talking with the coach has really turned things around on my end,” Bailey said.

Fresno State will remain at home for its next game on Saturday, Nov. 4 to take on rival opponent Boise State. Kickoff begins at 7 p.m.