Gandhi’s philosophy lives on at the Fresno State Library

The M.K. Gandhi Center: Inner Peace and Sarvodaya can be found on the third floor of the Fresno State Library. (Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian)

The M.K. Gandhi Center: Inner Peace and Sarvodaya, which has been in the works since 2021, is a space on campus that aims to encourage philosophical learning, particularly the study of Gandhi’s practices of nonviolent resistance and inner peace.

The concept of Sarvodaya means “inner peace” and “uplift of all,” which is one of the main thematic focuses of the Gandhi Center. This space will be used primarily for the needs of the Arts and Humanities Department.

On Oct. 18, Fresno State commemorated the grand opening of the M.K. Gandhi Center at the Fresno State Library.

The commemoration event was attended by approximately 50 people, ranging from donors, department heads, professors, community members, students and Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval.

Veena Howard, a professor of philosophy at Fresno State and director of the M.K. Gandhi Center, talked about the importance of the new space in Fresno State’s library. Howard said that the Gandhi Center will be used for programs that focus on the issues of building peace, taking nonviolent actions, as well as health and well being, both mental and physical. Howard will be in charge of most of the programs and activities that will take place in the space.

“The focus of the Gandhi Center encompasses interdisciplinary study and programs in the areas of developing inner peace, working toward uplift of all and building a culture of harmony. All of which connect with various subjects including philosophy, religion, peace and conflict studies, business, social work, music and arts,” Howard said. So while the Gandhi Center won’t be restricted to only those interested in philosophy, it was a welcome addition to the department’s resources.

Honora Chapman, the dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, also touched on the possibilities for the Gandhi Center. “We envision everyone, including our students who study at the tables nearby, growing curious about ‘Sarvodaya’ on the logo emblazoned on the Gandhi Center’s window and stepping inside this welcoming space to learn more,” Chapman said.

The opening of this space was made possible by many donors, most notably the Ravi and Naina Patel Foundation. The inaugural newsletter for the M.K. Gandhi Center states that the vision for the space is to “enhance Fresno State’s larger education goals by inspiring and providing tools to our students for personal transformation and dedication to serve our larger community.”

Marina Morningstar, Howard’s student assistant, spoke about the importance of one of the Gandhi Centers’ themes of inner peace.

“The world right now could stand to benefit from the teachings of inner peace. In the short time that I’ve worked in the department, I’ve already taken on a new perspective and seen new ways to tackle problems through peace,” Morningstar said. The goal is for Gandhi’s teachings and philosophies to reach as many students as possible. Now, there is a home on campus for these teachings.

“There is an impressive collection of Gandhi’s works in the space that were donated by two different professors who sent them to Dr. Howard,” Chapman said. “There is essentially a whole library of Gandhi on the shelves in there, so people who are interested can come and learn about Gandhi and his principles and teachings, and contemplate how to make peace in a new way.”

The Gandhi Center is located in Room 3109 near the third floor stairs of the Fresno State Library.