Students for Palestinian Liberation at Fresno State hosted a peaceful sit-in today to join the national movement of student activism calling for all universities to sever ties with Israel and divest funding.
Fresno State students organize and execute peaceful protest for Palestine
May 1, 2024
Former Fresno State linebacker Levelle Bailey speaks at press conference at the Duncan Josephine Theater on Nov. 9, 2023.
Former Bulldogs sign with NFL teams following draft

Fresno Pro-Am league brings basketball culture to the Valley

Courtesy of Alton Williams
Champion graphic of season 2.

Fresno State men’s basketball players hit the court over the summer by participating in the local professional-amateur league (Pro-Am). 

“There’s nothing going on in the summer besides workouts so it’s always fun to play basketball and [Pro-Am] is an outlet to do so,” said Isaiah Hill, Fresno State guard.   

Hill was one of the first to play in the league two summers ago when it started in Fresno. The following season, fellow ‘Dogs Donavan Yap, Steven Vasquez, Enoch Boakye and Mykell Robinson joined the league. 

These athletes have the chance to play against veteran basketball players, allowing them to improve their game.  

“I think it’s a cool thing doing what they were doing, bringing everybody together and allowing people to come and have fun,” Yap said.

They are given the opportunity to continue playing games during the off-season and at the same time allowing fans to see professional players from miles away on the same court. 

Fresno State basketball players cheer on fellow teammate, Isaiah Hill, during a Pro-Am game. (Courtesy of Alton Williams)

Staying in the basketball rhythm seemed to pay off for Fresno State players in the second season as the Risk Takers, the Fresno Pro-Am team won the league championship this past year with several Bulldogs on the court. 

The league welcomes various levels of play ranging from high school, junior college, NCAA players and NBA former and current players. The league is now sanctioned by the NBA which makes it easier to reach the professional market.

This summer, fans filled up the stands of Fresno City College to watch Fresno State players play alongside NBA stars, Quincy Pondexter and Rudy Gay.

Other big names in attendance were Mayor Jerry Dyer, boxer Jose Ramirez and former Bulldog, now Miami Heat player, Orlando Robinson

Although Pro-Am gained a significant amount of traction just within two seasons, it all began fairly small. 

Pro-Am commissioner Alton Williams along with his brothers, started with a vision on a clipboard. 

“I grew up playing basketball so you know, this means a lot to be able to give back to the game that helped shape who I am today,” Williams said.

For several months, Williams organized pick-up basketball games with other local hoopers at the Clovis Recreational Center, but with a twist. 

The structure and atmosphere of the games were organized as if it were a real game with shot clocks implemented, a score table and music. 

The games mimicked a regular basketball game. The matchups were recorded which then led to the first season of the Pro-Am summer league in 2022. 

Donovan Yap dribbles the ball down the Fresno City College court. (Courtesy of Alton Williams)

“I talk to people all the time and you know, how come [Fresno] haven’t had a pro basketball league and no one could really say why but we’re happy to have one now,” Williams said.

Fresno Pro-Am partnered with Fresno City College to host games on its court every weekend throughout summer.

With several athletes from all different experience levels coming together, Pro-Am continues to grow every season bringing in more Fresno State athletes to represent the Central Valley. 

“We may have a TV network or a TV broadcast deal by the time season three comes around… and we’re excited,” Williams said. 

Fresno Pro-Am released via it’s Instagram account on Oct. 9 that it’ll be on a new platform, this time Youtube.

The growth of the league has brought basketball culture to the City of Fresno in a unique way, and that looks to expand further each season.  

Season 3 of Pro-Am will kick off the summer of 2024 and will be free of charge for entry to those who want to attend.