About us

Hye Sharzhoom is a supplement of The Collegian and the newspaper of the Fresno State Armenian Students Organization and the Armenian Studies Program and is funded by the Associated Students. Articles may be reprinted provided Hye Sharzhoom is acknowledged. Hye Sharzhoom welcomes prose, poetry, articles and other material from its student readers.

For further information concerning the newspaper or the Armenian Studies Program:

Armenian Studies Program
5245 N. Backer Ave. PB4
Fresno, CA 93740-8001
Telephone (559) 278-2669

Current issue
Hye Sharzhoom

April 24-Armenian Genocide Commemoration at Fresno State

Barlow Der Mugrdechian
The Armenian Students Organization held an Armenian Genocide commemoration on Wednesday, April 24, 2024.

It is not enough to say “Never Forget.” As an Armenian living in the Diaspora, years pass and it becomes easier to assimilate into the new culture where we are living, to forget where we came from and why we are here. Many of us, born in America, are third or fourth-generation Armenian-Americans. Many of us are in America because we are the descendants of genocide survivors, whose ancestors were forced off their land in traumatic ways – horrors that are too hard to comprehend. We share stories of those who overcame inexplicable atrocities, coming to America with nothing, and building a life from scratch. The shared trauma of what our ancestors went through still sends chills down our spines.

On Wednesday, April 24, 2024, the Armenian Students Organization (ASO) organized a commemorative event at Fresno State to share their stories and remind us what our ancestors endured. ASO President Alec Karayan introduced ASO member Eddie Thurber, who shared his family’s personal story – one that echoes the story of so many Armenians.

Thurber’s great-grandfather fled the Genocide and immigrated to the United States. His grandfather eventually became successful, but not without struggle. Thurber’s grandfather did not teach his family Armenian, to spare them the same struggle, wanting them to succeed and assimilate into the culture.

Thus, Thurber grew up never knowing Armenian, but he had a desire to attend Fresno State and to enroll in Armenian Studies courses.

“I learned the Armenian language and how to read, write, and speak in my mother tongue,” said Thurber, “something I never dreamed I would be able to do.” Not only did he honor his family’s memory, “never forgetting” the horrors his family went through, but throughout his life, Thurber made a conscious effort to connect to his culture and to his Armenian identity.

Thurber is an example of what we should do as Armenians. Never forgetting the memory of the Armenian Genocide is vital, but it is also important to never forget the culture, language, and traditions.

This year the ASO lined the walkway up to the Armenian Genocide Monument with Armenian flags, and they provided roses to students and community members to lay on the Monument.

On April 24, Armenians gathered to remember the horrors and the trauma that our ancestors went through. Armenians also remember those who were forced off their lands in Artsakh, a modern-day trauma – something very hard to believe.

Peace comes to us as an Armenian looking around at the community. The community is the light in Armenian history. Despite the tragic history of the Genocide, Armenians can find peace within their community and sharing with their friends.

Together we work hard to “Never Forget” our ancestor’s memory and never forget our culture.