Francine Oputa’s legacy lives on

Dr.+Francine+Oputa+poses+outside+the+Frank+W.+Thomas+Building+at+Fresno+State+University+on+Tuesday%2C+October+4%2C+2016+
Yezmene Fullilove/The Collegian
Dr. Francine Oputa poses outside the Frank W. Thomas Building at Fresno State University on Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Dr. Francine Oputa, a former Fresno State director of the Cross-Cultural and Gender Center, impacted the lives of many students and faculty through her strong advocacy for diversity and equity.

On Sept. 14, Oputa passed away unexpectedly at 70 years old, leaving a profound mark on Fresno State in her 30 years of service.

“She introduced us to being OK with embracing our culture. She introduced us and taught us to give ourselves permission to be OK being Black and proud,” Dr. Angelia Barfield, program specialist at the Fresno County Superintendent of Schools Office, told ABC30.
Before retiring in 2021, Oputa served as director of the Center for Women and Culture and director of the Central Valley Cultural Heritage Institute..

But her career at Fresno State began long before working.

In 1974, she began her educational career as a graduate assistant at Fresno State helping as a teaching assistant.

Later she was hired as an adjunct faculty in Africana studies where she began to create a mark in Fresno.

Oputa took part in striving for positive change at the university, helping bring back
diversity training for all students. She was also a large proponent for the publication of Uhuru Na Umoja, the African American student newspaper supplement.

Her ability to make change within the campus encouraged many more to speak out on perspectives even in uncomfortable situations or in times of difficulty.

“Dr. Francine, as she was affectionately referred to, was one of the pillars of Fresno State, contributing to making our university campus both a safe space by building trust and establishing a sense of community among various constituencies, as well as a brave space,” Matthew Jendian, director of the Humanics Program in Community Benefit Administration, told The Collegian.

After her passing, many colleagues went on social media to express their emotions at the loss.

Jendian also expressed himself through his own written tribute.

As a mentor to many, her legacy will forever be remembered at Fresno State giving hope, strength and encouragement to keep up the fight for diversity and social justice rights.

A celebration of life will be held 2 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 28, at the Family Community Church in Fresno. A Praise Party at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 29, at the Resnick Student Union, will be followed by a 7 p.m. dinner.

CORRECTION: The story has been updated to reflect the times of the Praise Party and dinner.