Here’s what’s coming up in Fresno State entertainment

‘Men On Boats’ was a theatre production shown last semester as part of the University Theater’s production line-up. (Sarah Delgado/The Collegian)

With the fall 2023 semester beginning, Fresno State’s entertainment season presents many opportunities for students to get a feel for the creativity and culture that the campus has to offer.

Film screenings
On Friday, Sep. 1, the Armenian Studies Program is hosting a screening and discussion of the 2022 documentary “Aurora’s Sunrise,” an animated documentary film based on a story by a survivor of the Armenian Genocide.

The screening will be in the Leon S. and Pete Peters Educational Center from 5:30-9 p.m. After the screening, attendees will have the opportunity to discuss the film with Inna Sahakyan, film director of “Aurora’s Sunrise.”

Admission and parking are free. For more information, visit the Fresno State event calendar.

Campus events
On Friday Aug. 25 the Fresno State American Sign Language Club is hosting a Back to School Boba Social event at 4 p.m. at Boba Pub in Bulldog Plaza.

This event is for students and the community to meet the club officers and learn more about the club. For more information visit their Instagram page or visit their website.

The Fresno State Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI) will host a welcome event on Wednesday Aug. 30 from 1-2 p.m. in Resnick Student Union Room 216.

Pizza, games and prizes will be available. This event is welcome to all students, however RSVP is required to attend.

If you’re looking to beat the heat, on Aug. 31 from 6-9 p.m. Fresno State Spotlight Events is hosting Summer Splash, an event where students can connect with each other.

The pool party will be held at the student housing pool. For more information, visit their website or their Instagram page.

Interested in making some new friends on campus? On Friday Sep. 1 from 6-8 p.m., the International Student Association is hosting ISAPawty Welcome Night, an event focused on connecting fellow students to mingle and create friendships.

There will be free food, music, dancing and games located in the RSU Room 207. Students can sign up to attend through Engage.

On Friday Sep. 1 from 5-7 p.m. the Hmong Student Association will be hosting a Jumpstart event. This event will take place in RSU Room 206 and will allow students the opportunity to learn about the HmSA club, familiarize themselves with members, and indulge in treats. The event is a potluck, so it is encouraged to bring a dish of your own.

Free boba drinks from Boba Luv will be provided, along with a chance to win some prizes. For more information, visit their website, or their Instagram page.

Music performances
On Monday, Sep. 11 at 7:30 p.m, Jennifer Wharton, a bass and trombonist from New York, and her band will perform live music from their 2019 jazz album “Bonegasm.”

On Friday Sep. 15 at 7:30 p.m., pianist Anna Geniushene will be performing numbers from Clementi, Tchaikovsky, Weinburg, Schumann, Chopin and Prokofiev.

World renowned pianist Emanuel Ax will take the stage on Friday Oct. 6 at 7:30 p.m. performing music from Beethoven and Schönberg.

All concerts will take place in the Fresno State Concert Hall, and tickets can be purchased online or at the box office.

Student involvement
The Fresno State Cross Cultural and Gender Center is hosting an LGBTQ+ Ice Cream Social on Sep. 13 at 12:30-2 p.m in the RSU Room 107.

Students can enjoy a free ice cream, meet fellow LGBTQ+ students, staff and allies, and learn about community and campus resources. Registration is required to attend the LGBTQ+ Ice Cream social.

Theater and dance
The Fresno State Theatre department’s fall season commences with “American Son,” running from Sep. 29 through Oct. 7. Written by Christopher Demos-Brown and directed by Thomas-Whit Ellis, the play captures a diverse story about a bi-racial couple that is faced with feelings of racism and bias after their son is detained in a traffic stop incident.

This show will take place in the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre located in the Speech Arts Building.

“At The Wedding” will run from Oct. 27 to Nov. 4, telling the story of Carlo and how she navigates heartbreak as a permanent human condition. It is directed by Kathleen McKinley and written by Bryna Turner.

Written by Theresa Rebeck and directed by Brad Myers, “Seminar,” will run from Dec. 1 to Dec. 9. The play is a comedy revolving around four aspiring novelists who sign up for classes taught by Leonard, an international literary figure.

Students can purchase tickets online or at the box office.

$100
$500