Goalies protect the ‘Dogs from a loss

Fresno+State+goalkeeper+Valentina+Vivas+kicks+the+ball+down+the+field+against+UC+Santa+Barbara%2C+on+Aug.+24.+
Carlos Rene Castro
Fresno State goalkeeper Valentina Vivas kicks the ball down the field against UC Santa Barbara, on Aug. 24.

The ‘Dogs had seen it all leading up to this game against the University of California, Santa Barbara, with a loss in the exhibition game, a Game 1 tie, and a Game 2 win so far this season. 

With a struggling offense, Fresno State’s goalies stepped up on defense to avoid a second loss of the season. 

One of those goalkeepers shared with The Collegian what the plan for the match was.

“[This game] We just wanted to focus on a shutout, then hopefully a win,” said Kaydence Cortez-Garcia, Fresno State goalkeeper. 

Bulldog Megan Galvan and Guacho Shaye Douglas hurry over the ball. (Carlos Rene Castro)

The ‘Dogs looked to keep the win streak going but fell short in a tie game against the Gauchos at the Bulldog Soccer Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 24.

The game began with Fresno State obtaining the ball possession,  but the momentum quickly shifted away from the ‘Dogs.

With efficient ball movement, the Gauchos rushed the ball downfield where it stayed the majority of the game, putting pressure on the Bulldogs’ goalie.  

In the thirty-ninth minute the Redwave got to the edge of its seats as the Gauchos took several shots at the goal but Bulldog goalie Valentina Vivas fought the pressure to keep the Gauchos off the board. 

The first half of the game remained 0-0. 

Fresno State player Ciara Wilson kicks the ball between two UCSB players. (Carlos Rene Castro)

Opening up the second half, the ‘Dogs continued to struggle on defense allowing seven shots to the goal in the half. 

At the 61-minute mark a handball by Fresno State’s Ciara Wilson gave the Gauchos a free kick near the goal. Despite the circumstances Cortez-Garcia saved the shot with a left dive to keep a 0-0 score. 

“I was really particular in setting up my wall, putting in the extra player when I didn’t think I needed one but it ended up working out because it went the way that I anticipated it to go. That big save really gave me a confidence boost going into the end of the game,” Cortez-Garcia said. 

Right after the save, another shot by the Gauchos kept Cortez-Garcia on her toes as the ball nearly missed going over the crossbar.  

Bulldog Lizbeth “Yaya” De Loera dribbles the ball down field. (Carlos Rene Castro)

In the final 10 minutes of the game the Bulldogs began to be more aggressive and maintain offensive possession but the ‘Dogs couldn’t find a way in the net. 

The standoff between the ‘Dogs and the Gauchos ended in a 0-0 tie. 

“Next game we are looking for a win plus a shutout and use what we focus on in training and bring it here,” said Cortez-Garcia. 

Fresno State is set to play Pepperdine at Bulldog Soccer Stadium on Friday, Sept. 1 at 3 p.m.