Bulldog Marching Band members perform in 2023 Drum Corps International competition

The MidCal Champions Showcase competition was hosted at Valley Children’s Stadium on July 7 as part of the annual Drum Corps International tour. Drum Corps International is a competitive circuit of drum and bugle corps, similar to marching bands, with competitions that take place across the country every summer. Many Fresno State students and members of the Bulldog Marching Band participate every season, and with the tour stopping in Fresno, it gave these students the opportunity to perform a home show for their friends and families.

Alex Perez, a Fresno State sophomore, plays vibraphone and auxiliary percussion in the front ensemble for the Mandarins. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Bulldog Marching Band member Zachary Gifford (left behind) performs choreography with the Blue Knights during their show titled “Unharnessed.” (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Fresno State sophomore Juliana Marquez says playing synth for Golden Empire has made this summer “one of the best I’ve ever had.” (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Richie Moring IV, a Fresno State junior, plays euphonium for the Mandarins and is a trombone soloist. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Kaitlyn Poulan, a Fresno State sophomore, says she is excited to perform back in Fresno to “see my people from home with my family that I’ve created here at the Mandarins as well.” (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Dalton Hooke, a Fresno State senior, plays with the Blue Devils. He plays euphonium and is a trombone soloist for the second year in a row. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Carson Kimber, a Fresno State junior, is one of three drum majors who conducts the Blue Devils. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Bulldog Marching Band member Zachary Gifford plays mellophone for the Blue Knights. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)

Thousands of spectators from across the Central Valley made it to Valley Children’s Stadium to see performances from their favorite Drum Corps. (Wyatt Bible/ The Collegian)