Former Bulldog Ronnie Rivers (20) makes a run in the game against Hawaii on October 24, 2020. (Vendila Yang/The Collegian)

Rivers persevering through NFL journey

Making the National Football League (NFL) is no easy task, and staying there is even harder. Just ask Ronnie Rivers, Fresno State football’s all-time touchdown leader.

Rivers was signed to the active roster on Saturday prior to the Los Angeles Rams’ 26-10 loss at the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, appearing in his third game as a rookie this season.

Despite the roster spot, he saw minimal action, taking the field just seven times, all on special teams. 

In his two previous stints with the Rams this season, Rivers carried the ball nine times for 21 rushing yards in addition to five receptions for 29 receiving yards.

In an interview with J.B. Long earlier this month, Rivers was asked about his time so far in the NFL.

“I’m just staying true to the whole process and understanding that you have to come out and work every day. I’ve been taking it day by day, this has been my third team already. It’s been a tough little journey, you just have to persevere and work hard every day,” Rivers said. 

Rivers was originally signed by the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent shortly after the 2022 draft. After earning a practice squad spot with the team, he was released in early August before preseason play. 

He was added to the Seattle Seahawks shortly thereafter, but it was yet another brief stint before he was released

Despite not sticking with Arizona or Seattle, Rivers made a huge impression on their divisional foes. The Rams decided to take a chance, signing him. 

Rivers made his NFL debut on Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers and fellow Bulldog teammate Arron Mosby, who recorded his first career tackle during the contest. 

Rivers will get a chance to prove one of his former teams wrong about him as the Rams host the Seahawks on Nov. 4. That game will take place at 1:05 p.m. on Sunday, airing on FOX.