Fresno+State%E2%80%99s+running+back+Ronnie+Rivers+runs+the+ball+against+Colorado+State+Rams+during+the+second+quarter+on+October+30%2C+2020%2C+at+Bulldog+Stadium.+%28Vendila+Yang%2F+The+Collegian%29+
Fresno State’s running back Ronnie Rivers runs the ball against Colorado State Rams during the second quarter on October 30, 2020, at Bulldog Stadium. (Vendila Yang/ The Collegian)

Fresno State alumni Ronnie Rivers makes NFL debut

Fresno State football’s all-time touchdown leader Ronnie Rivers made his NFL debut Sunday with the Los Angeles Rams.. 

The 23-year-old running back had an efficient one carry and one reception for a total of 14 yards in a 24-10 win over the Carolina Panthers. 

While only receiving minimal playing time, Rivers’ debut was a testament to his already storied journey through professional football. 

Despite being projected as a late-round draft pick, Rivers went undrafted in the 2022 draft. However, he was picked up shortly after the draft by the Arizona Cardinals. 

Earning a spot on the practice squad, Rivers spent the summer with the Cardinals before being released in early August. He was picked up by the Seahawks 10 days later, then released again. 

Finally, Rivers was signed to the Rams practice squad. Several weeks later, Rivers is now poised to fill a hole for the Rams left by an injured running back.  

Drawing comparisons to Devin Singletary by publications like Sports Illustrated, Rivers’ usage is projected to go up as he is considered a “third-down back” that acts as a threat in the passing game. 

His brief yet potential-filled performance came as no surprise to many Bulldog faithful who have been following his story throughout the year. 

“It’s awesome that he finally made a team. I remember watching his dad play back in the ‘90s, and to see him finally getting a shot is great,” said Adam Rios, a 1994 Fresno State alumnus.