Commuter Appreciation Week in motion to recognize off-campus students

Jay Garcia/The Collegian
Fresno State Off Campus Student Life kicked off Commuter Appreciation week beginning Monday, March 4. Events will last through Thursday, March 7 for all commuter students to enjoy.

Off-Campus Student Life (OCSL) has officially kicked off Commuter Appreciation Week at Fresno State. Commuter students will be treated to various treats, activities and resources throughout the week until Thursday, March 7.

Today’s event was a resource fair, which included an array of tables from various organizations, showcasing what they can offer students.

This was all accompanied by free tacos and a live DJ set. Fresno State mascot Timeout made an appearance and almost immediately started a dance off, getting numerous students to bust a move.

Local apartment complexes came out to showcase their benefits to students who are considering making the move to Fresno, including Topanga Ridge, and Bulldog Village. Students were able to speak with representatives from each, and consider their potential options.

The Amendola Family Student Cupboard also tabled, informing students on the free food they provide and how they offer assistance with CalFresh applications. CalFresh can be a resource for students dealing with food insecurity, since they offer EBT that allows students to get nutritious groceries.

“For students who are coming from home and don’t have breakfast packed, the Student Cupboard is a location where they can get frozen items or fresh fruit that they can snack on throughout the day,” said Jose Rivas, CalFresh coordinator at the cupboard.

To those looking to help the community as well as themselves, the Central Valley College Corps was advertising its opportunities for volunteering and the scholarships it offers.

“I was a commuter myself, and through this (volunteering at K-12 schools), I made a buddy and at the end of it all we decided to move in together,” said Baltazar Lopez from the corps. “As commuters, it’s good to get out there and meet new people.”

Kickoff day also offered a variety of activity stations such as a photo booth from 360 Photo Fresno, balloon animals and a rock climbing wall. Students who dared to take on the challenge could even have a go at bull riding and shake off their defeat at the bouncy attractions in the Memorial Garden.

The rest of this week’s events include the Commuter Lunchtime on Tuesday from 11 a.m to 1 p.m., which will be offering free quesadillas while supplies last. Wednesday entails the Good Morning Commuters breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., offering free donuts, fruit, coffee and tea. Thursday will be an evening showing of Ratatouille from 6-8 p.m., and free charcuterie boxes will be given on a first come basis.

All of these events will be held near the Resnick Student Union, and Fresno State Student Involvement programs will be tabling to continue to shine light on the opportunities offered on campus.

This week’s events will continue to show commuter students how appreciated they are, and bring them closer to the community that is being nurtured on campus.

“Fresno State is the heart of the city, so I feel like the community definitely wants to take care of its students and make them feel welcomed,” said Raymond Maggard, a commuter student.

For more information, visit the OCSL page.