For Rent Dr J Ad

Valentine’s Day memories are priceless; here are five date ideas that won’t break the bank

The+Collegians%2C+Jay+Garcia%2C+shares+his+cheap+date+ideas+to+create+priceless+memories+with+your+significant+other.+
Graphic by Camille Amezcua/The Collegian
The Collegian’s, Jay Garcia, shares his cheap date ideas to create priceless memories with your significant other.

It’s that time of the year when stores start stocking up on largely stuffed animals next to bouquets of red roses.

Valentine’s Day gifts are just to complement the Valentine’s date. If you don’t want to break the bank but still want to spark a day full of enjoyment, here are five low-cost date ideas for you and your special someone.

1. Picnics What’s better than to unwind and watch a peaceful sunset accommodated by a picnic? The simplicity of this idea creates genuine vibes, giving you and your partner a great view while also showing them appreciation with no interruptions or distractions. Plus, sunsets are beautiful and free. It’s just worthwhile to use your local park to its romantic advantage.

2. Thrifting
On Valentine’s Day, if you want to explore Fresno, I’d recommend thrifting. There are multiple thrift shops with a variety of items ranging from clothes to books. There are a few in Fresno full of hidden gems that could make one’s wardrobe exquisite: Bad Kids Club, a Y2K-styled shop inside Mammoth Mall located on 902 Fulton St., Yoshi NOW!, a thrift store with curated vintage items is located at 1410 Kern St. Lastly, Bebe O’s Vintage, a boutique featuring different decades of fashion, can be found at 1130 N Wishon Ave. All of these places will be open on Valentine’s Day, and I recommend checking their Instagram for any deals that are going on that day.

3. Pizza making
This idea involves pre-planning and also making a run to the grocery store. You will need pizza dough, tomato sauce and toppings of your choice to make a homemade heart-shaped pizza. I’m sure making a heart-shaped pizza is something not a lot of individuals do too often, but it’s affordable and intimate. This activity allows couples to have great communication and teamwork with each other. Also, once the creation is fully baked, you get a pizza filled with tender, loving care and dedication.

4. Museums
The Fresno Art Museum opened up again to the public after a temporary closure due to exhibition changes. The museum is not open Monday-Wednesday but I still recommend this as a cute date for after Valentine’s. This idea is definitely a steal as tickets are only $10 per person. Since this museum has been closed since Jan. 8, the brand-new exhibit mixed with liveliness is sure to spice up an exclusive memory. Being as new as it is, it seems special to go observe one-of-a-kind art with a one-of-a-kind person.

5. Hiking
Spend one-on-one time on Valentine’s Day, accompanied by a romantic hike. Head towards the mountains on Highway 41 North, going towards North Fork, California. This is about a 40-50 minute drive, but well worth it for a refreshing hike at the Manzanita Lake Trail. The hiking trail is 2.1 miles long and the estimated time to complete this is 44-50 minutes depending on you and your partner’s pace. There is a special location where you and your partner can go to take Valentine’s Day flicks; it lies at 37 degrees 9 minutes 58.23 seconds North (37º 9’ 58.23 N) latitude and 119 degrees 26 minutes 58.29 seconds West (119º 26’ 58.29 W) longitude.

These five cute date ideas are just some of the thousands of ways to show your love on Valentine’s Day, or any other day, too. Feb. 14 is about spending it with your main squeeze and expenses do not ultimately equate to a deeper connection. Enjoy the day and try these activities to flare your romantic life.