The community comes together in ‘The Black Arts Lounge’

Poet Faylita Hicks performing at the Black Arts Lounge on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 in the Leon S. Peters Ellipse Gallery. (Carlos Rene Castro/ The Collegian)

In 2010, Faylita Hicks was arrested for a declined $25 check and was placed in county jail for 45 days. At first, she tried her best to keep this experience to herself, but Hicks eventually realized that telling her story through poetry could be used to highlight the things that are happening nationwide.

Hicks’ poetry tackles the injustices that Black Americans face and this was put on full display during her performance with Benjamin Boone, a music professor at Fresno State. The line deliveries were full of passion, sadness and frustration. In particular, the poem “Dawg, What the Fuck Ima Do With A $20?” captures Hicks’ own battle against injustice.

The title of the poem was inspired by George Floyd’s death, where the inciting factor for the tragedy was a report of a fake $20 bill. Hicks reflected on the parallels to her situation, but also how quickly things became deadly for Floyd. “I didn’t see the impact of my deal until years later, but he felt his right then and there,” Hicks said.

On Feb. 22, critically-acclaimed poet Hicks and Boone spearheaded a night of jazz, poetry and art. “The Black Arts Lounge” event was part of the Fresno State library’s “The 559 Edition – African Americans and the Arts” month-long exhibit to celebrate Black History Month. The exhibition features the work of 11 Fresno-based Black artists, including current Fresno State student Tyler Alcé and alumna Audia Dixon.

Asia Smith, director of Fresno State’s Gospel Choir, kicked off the night with a performance of James Weldon Johnson’s “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” otherwise known as “The Black National Anthem.” Afterward, each of the 11 artists were granted plaques to commemorate their artistic contributions, and artist James Gearlds spoke on the state of Black artistry in Fresno.

After the artists were properly recognized, Hicks and Boone began their hour-long showcase of jazz and spoken word. The pair have a history of collaboration, having previously worked together on Boone’s most recent album, “Caught in the Rhythm.” Hicks was supported by Boone on saxophone, Phil Sarkisian on bass, Mckenna Reeves on drums and Kevin Person on the keyboard.

Hicks recognizes many similarities between jazz and poetry and thus was excited to work with Boone again to bring the two mediums together.

“Not all poems are rhyming, not all of them look clean on the page,” Hicks said. “And it’s the same thing with jazz. Some of it has a particular rhythm, but not all of it.”

Even though the poems presented focused on Black experiences and struggles, Hicks’ message of coming together to support one another was directed to every member of the audience. The audience consisted of a wide diversity of age groups and backgrounds, and there was something to take away for everybody.

“I feel like she [Hicks] opened up my eyes to see that we can go through stuff and we can use poetry, painting, our voice and singing, and there’s gonna be people who understand you,” said Jasmine Navarro, Fresno State student.

After the poetic jazz performance, audience members dispersed to further appreciate the visual art and make connections. The room was filled with conversation between artists, students and community members, and was a physical manifestation of the unity and appreciation that Black History Month promotes.

“Realistically, we live in the biggest boom of Black and brown artists society’s ever seen,” Gearlds said. “And it’s really important that we not only consider big gallery events like this.”

The event even brought out Fresno State President Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval, who spent the evening interacting with guests and appreciating the works of art for himself.

“I feel really proud of our community coming together and celebrating such vibrant artistry that our Black artists produce,” Jiménez-Sandoval said.