First free grocery store in Fresno combats food insecurity in the community

Wyatt Bible/The Collegian
First Fruits Market located at 2025 E Dakota Ave. on Wednesday Jan. 31. The market serves individuals in the community for free up to twice a month.

There is a new resource in Fresno created with the goal to bring support to people struggling with food insecurity. First Fruits Market, an entirely free grocery store located at 2025 E Dakota Ave. at the Fresno Mission Center, is helping with the cause.

The grocery store, which opened its doors last year, offers items ranging from “seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh dairy items and eggs, frozen foods and meats and pantry staples,” according to its website. However, the items will vary each week.

First Fruits Market provides a free shopping experience for all, regardless of income. Community members can use the resource up to twice a month.

In addition to providing a free shopping experience, First Fruits Market provides Fresno State students and the community with opportunities.

“We have a variety of college students who volunteer, and we do see college students on a regular basis. But in terms of college students actually shopping, it’s a little rare,” said Selma Sanchez, a coordinator at First Fruits Market.

Sanchez has worked as a coordinator for the First Fruits Market since its opening and acknowledges its lack of foot traffic from students. She credits this to the store’s operating procedure and hours, which may not be the most accessible to students.

The store is only open three days a week: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.

“We open at 8:30 a.m. and neighbors are reporting that people are waiting outside as early as 4 a.m.,” Sanchez said. “Realistically, a student would not wait as long as a struggling senior or mother, so we are working on including more groups.”

However, this has not stopped all students from visiting First Fruits Market.

David Lopez, a fourth-year student at Fresno State, has visited the market several times in the past few months.

“It’s a struggle being [financially] independent when you are going to school,” Lopez said. “The last few years, I’ve mainly used the student cupboard at [Fresno] State to get my things to cook. But I feel like the [First Fruits Market] has more of a selection, so I usually go every couple of weeks.”

Lopez moved to Fresno from southern California as a transfer student in 2022. He receives sufficient financial aid to cover both his tuition and housing, but is currently unemployed, so securing extra income to purchase groceries has been difficult.

“Honestly, I hadn’t even heard of the market until I volunteered there in November. But I’ve been denied EBT twice since the beginning of last year due to not being able to verify my income,” Lopez said. “It’s not like I’m in an emergency for needing food, but being able to get more free groceries has been a lifesaver for me.”

Lopez is an outspoken advocate for the market, as it has provided him with much-needed resources. He agrees that there is a seeming lack of student presence at the store and hopes that there will be an increased number of his peers visiting the market.

“I think a lot of students only look at it as a place to volunteer or feel bad if they were to go because they might be in a better situation than other people that are there,” he said. “And I understand why they might feel that way. I always tell my friends that it’s open for everybody. So why not you know? I just appreciate what [the people] do for the community.”

The lack of students utilizing the market may be due mainly to a lack of awareness of the resources availability. When questioned about the prospect of visiting the market, several students voiced their interest.

“I honestly didn’t know that was a thing,” said Gabriela Rios, a third-year Fresno State student. “I use the student cupboard like once a week, so going [to the First Fruits Market] sounds like the move.”

Luke Castillo, a first-year majoring in agricultural business at Fresno State voiced his support of the market.

“It sounds like a great resource for students. I live at home with my parents, so I can’t really see myself shopping there, but I do think I’ll encourage my youth group to volunteer,” Castillo said.

For those interested in volunteering at the First Fruits Market, individuals can do so by visiting the Central California Food Bank website and finding the option under the ‘get involved’ tab.