Bulldogs’ loss and roster both come down to the wire

Jacqueline Carrillo/The Collegian
Bulldog guard, Isaiah Pope breaks through UNLV player at the Save Mart Center on Feb. 14.

Throughout the past weeks, several key players have suffered season-ending injuries, leaving the ‘Dogs to work around having minimal players. 

“Are hands are on deck. We are depleted, so everyone who has a uniform is in the game,” said Justin Hutson, Fresno State’s Head Coach. 

The Bulldogs closed out the night, narrowing down the roster to only eight healthy players who are on scholarship. 

Bulldog center Eduardo Andre was the first to be out with a knee injury earlier this season, followed by guard Donovan Yap, who suffered an injury against Air Force on Feb. 10 and finally, center Enoch Boakye who never returned in this game.

Boayke got injured within two minutes and taken out of the game, leaving the ‘Dogs to play small after losing its other center. 

In the post-game press conference, Hutson said that the severity of Boayke’s injury is still unclear. 

The Fresno State men’s basketball team was defeated by the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 67-65, on Feb. 14 at the Save Mart Center. 

Opening up the game, UNLV got on the board first with a mid-range jumper to take an early 2-0 lead. 

Bulldog guard Xavier DuSell cut the deficit short, connecting behind the arc and making it 4-3. DuSell is coming off of two games in a row with over 20 points total. 

The Rebels continued their offensive dominance with an 8-4 run to stay on top.

With just over 10 minutes remaining in the first half the ‘Dogs struggled to find an offensive rhythm, remaining down 16-11. 

Bulldog center Pierre Geneste Jr. came in for Boakye making his first layup of the game to cut down the deficit. 

The momentum shifted after a layup by Colimerio to tie the game up 20-20.

After the Rebels connected on a free throw, Colimerio answered back with a 3-pointer, to give the ‘Dogs a 23-21 lead. 

In a back-and-forth game, Bulldog guard Jalen Weaver broke through contact to make an and-one, taking the lead 26-25. 

DuSell matched the en energy with a turnaround jumper to take a 3-point advantage. 

As the game came down to the final 30 seconds of the half, walk-on guard for the Bulldogs Steven Vasquez saw playing time on the court. 

The first half closed out with the ‘Dogs ahead, 32-29.  

Coming out of the half, the Rebels started with a 3-0 run to tie the game 32-32. 

With over 15 minutes left in the half, both teams remained neck-and-neck offensively, keeping a tie game, 39-39.

The Rebels took their first lead of the half with a 5-0 run, 43-39. 

Trailing by 7 points, Vasquez took to the court once again with just over 12 minutes left in the game. 

The ‘Dogs found momentum with a successful jumper in the paint by guard Isaiah Pope, followed by a layup by Isaiah Hill to tie the game at 50.

After letting up 3-points on defense, Vasquez connected on a 3-pointer that brought the Red Wave to its feet cheering and clapping for the walk-on, 53-53. 

At the five-minute mark, the Rebels went on a 9-2 run to take a big lead at 62-55. 

The Bulldogs continued to fight, cutting down the deficit after an and-one by Colimerio. He ended the game with a career-high of 30 points, going 10-for-13 from the field, 2-for-2 from behind the arc and 8-for-9 from the free throw line.  

“Since it’s my fourth year here I feel like I need to step up for my guys,” said Colimerio.

Bulldog guard, Leo Colimerio grabs ball on the floor at the Save Mart Center on Feb. 14. (Jacqueline Carrillo) 

The crowd chanted “defense” with the ‘Dogs trailing by two, 62-60.

As the game winded down, the ‘Dogs trailed by 1-point with only one minute left. 

The Bulldogs failed to make a key defensive stop and instead fouled the Rebels. They were able to make one of their two free throws, 67-65. 

With only 8 seconds left, the ‘Dogs had one last chance on offense, but DuSell failed to make a 3-pointer. 

The Bulldogs fell short, 67-65.  

Fresno State is now 11-13 overall and 4-7 in conference play. The Bulldogs will travel to take on Boise State on Feb. 17 at ExtraMile Arena.